Fallow tank

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to everyone here I sincerely apolgiese if this has been answered before or comes across as a silly question but I would really like an answer to this question any answers would be gratefully appreciated..so..I had a velvet outbreak and sadly lost all my fish apart from one which is now in QT..I've started my 76 day fallow period and am 5 weeks in..after the fallow period should I completely remove the sand bed and replace it with new sand or should I just leave the old sand in the tank!? I dont have live sand I have dry sand, would this benefit me in any sense or would it be a waste of time? Thank you for taking your time to read this I look forward to any answers.

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn’t hurt to take off half an inch off the top. Also, I would suggest going fallow for longer than 76 days, just to be 100% sure

OP
OP
Scape

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great, Just out of curiosity what would be the benefit of removing an inch of the top? Also how long do you recommend I fallow for?

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the set up? Chances are that your sand is now "live" however there is likely more than enough beneficial bacteria in your rockwork.
If you are debating removing sand please look into the "rip clean" thread first

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing some of the sandbed may release toxins which could kill corals and inverts if you have them. It's an all or nothing in my opinion

OP
OP
Scape

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 15 months old, what if I vaccumed some if the sand out and replaced it with new sand?

OP
OP
Scape

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this still release toxins? I have 2 shrimps 2 snails and 3 hermit crabs and 15 corals

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this still release toxins? I have 2 shrimps 2 snails and 3 hermit crabs and 15 corals
It would depend on how you've cleaned the sandbed in the past. If you've not cleaned it then yes, more than likely. Have a look at the thread about rip cleaning

OP
OP
Scape

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that eggs remain in the sand bed so would it not help to remove the sand bed?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m no expert, but for ich the fallow period is intended to cover the full cycle of the parasite (including egg incubation). I wouldn’t see a need in removing anything else but the fish to break the velvet life cycle.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you gently stir the sand, it would go a long way to getting rid of any anaerobic areas in the sand that may be harboring dormant Ich/velvet parasites.

If you want to change out the sand, I recently did just that. My sand was too fine (Fiji Pink) and was blowing around the tank too much. So I removed about a quarter of the sand by siphoning it out once a day. So it took about 4 days to completely siphon out the old. Replaced with new sand, by using a 2' section of 2" pvc pipe so the sand could be poured directly to the bottom of the tank. Worked pretty good. Changed the filter socks a couple of times to help clear up the water quicker.

OP
OP
Scape

Scape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i was under the impression everything dies after the fallow period, nothing remains dorment?

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested too, theoretically it shouldn’t matter if you leave old sand / live rock after 76 day period?? All parasites hidden will have died no matter what without a host.... any one know for sure?

Back