Fang Blenny Questions

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) will a fork tail or black line blenny (or any with a similar look to a bicolor blenny) fight with my bicolor blenny because of their similar colors, or will any fang fight with my blenny?

2) my clowns can get aggressive. If the fang gets bitten will he bite back? I don’t want to get rid of another fish because of aggression. I have a 24g tank with every cave unoccupied.

Thanks for the help

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you want to introduce a venomous fish into the mix? It sounds like you have a nice harmony going, so maybe a different species of fish would be better?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) will a fork tail or black line blenny (or any with a similar look to a bicolor blenny) fight with my bicolor blenny because of their similar colors, or will any fang fight with my blenny?

2) my clowns can get aggressive. If the fang gets bitten will he bite back? I don’t want to get rid of another fish because of aggression. I have a 24g tank with every cave unoccupied.

Thanks for the help
Fang blennies being venomous will only bite back if they have to, I find with all fish that are vanomous its a last resort idea. So say a meiacanthus was cornered, it would bite as the last resort. As said above, would you really want to add any other fish to the tank if it’s already in harmony? Also the clowns will get rather large, even just regular occelaris and percula will get 4 inch eventually so would you really want to add another fish that can get rather large and active.
Most escenius species are territorial so I would say the bicolor would try fight and potentially kill the meiacanthus it’s really 50/50 as I have seen bicolors mixed with other blennies but never seen them mixed with meiacanthus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you want to introduce a venomous fish into the mix? It sounds like you have a nice harmony going, so maybe a different species of fish would be better?
Well, I’ve read that the venom acts like heroine, like slows down the fish and isn’t lethal. Also I’ve heard good things about temperament. But I’m still not sure yet.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve read that the venom acts like heroine, like slows down the fish and isn’t lethal. Also I’ve heard good things about temperament. But I’m still not sure yet.
I'll just reiterate my original point, which was that if you have a good balance you should be looking to augment it with different fish in an attempt to preserve that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back