Fangtooth Blennies vs Macro Algae, which are safe?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I'm not sure if this is the right thread since it's like 3 topics into one lol but I'm pretty sure I'm good.

Anyways, I've been looking for a species of blenny to add into the mix in a 20 gallon macro algae dominate tank with a pearly jawfish and captive bred Blue stripe pipefish. The 3 main options I'm looking at are a Kamohara Blenny (captive bred), Smith's Blenny, or a Harptail Blenny (captive bred). Also similar a Whitelined Combtooth Blenny but according to LiveAquaria they're herbivores so that's a unwary choice (Can anyone give more info? There's not a ton of info out there)

All 3 are Omnivores, so I was wondering what species of Macros are they super unlikely to touch? Most of them are going to be either Calcified / Calcified Roots / or just a weird texture like Codium and Branching Coraline. Has anyone had any experience with either of 3 (or 4) with Macros? Just as an idea of what kinds of macros I'm looking at here's a list: Dragon's Breath, Pom Pom, Blue Hypnea, Caulerpa Mexicana, Red Razor, Purple Fauchea, Codium, Sargassum, Mermaid's Fan, Shaving Brush, Coraline (normal and/or fine branched), and some others

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with those fish and algae but I can tell you most fish will not touch the calcified algae species.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back