Macro Algae Lighting Help

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2020
Messages
2,215
Reaction score
8,522
Location
Madison, WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to stock my new 25 gallon reef tank with the following macro algaes.

- Caulerpa Racemosa (Green Grape), Prolifera, and Mexicana
- Portieria
- Gracilaria Hayi (Pom Pom)
- Gracilaria Parvispora (Ogo) Red
- Gracilaria Pacifica (Spaghetti Ogo)
- Branching Coralline Fine
- Galaxaura
- Codium
- Ulva (Sea Lettuce)
- Sargassum
- Blue Hypnea
- Botryocladia (red Grape)
- Cladophora Prolifera
- Shaving Brushes
- Rhipocedphalus Pheonix (Pine Cones)
- Halimeda
- Mermaid's Fan

I have the following questions:
1. Are they all compatible temperature wise?
2. I will be mixing these with around 15 corals, 2 mangroves, and a few feather dusters. Would an AI Prime 16HD be enough lighting wise for the macros? I know full spectrum is recommended, but the LED can have a custom spectrum.
 
I plan to stock my new 25 gallon reef tank with the following macro algaes.

- Caulerpa Racemosa (Green Grape), Prolifera, and Mexicana
- Portieria
- Gracilaria Hayi (Pom Pom)
- Gracilaria Parvispora (Ogo) Red
- Gracilaria Pacifica (Spaghetti Ogo)
- Branching Coralline Fine
- Galaxaura
- Codium
- Ulva (Sea Lettuce)
- Sargassum
- Blue Hypnea
- Botryocladia (red Grape)
- Cladophora Prolifera
- Shaving Brushes
- Rhipocedphalus Pheonix (Pine Cones)
- Halimeda
- Mermaid's Fan

I have the following questions:
1. Are they all compatible temperature wise?
2. I will be mixing these with around 15 corals, 2 mangroves, and a few feather dusters. Would an AI Prime 16HD be enough lighting wise for the macros? I know full spectrum is recommended, but the LED can have a custom spectrum.
Deferring to others, but want to ensure you saw this other post:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/reef-of-the-month-may-2021-tigahboys-macroalgae-paradise.804/
My main experience is only with Red Ogo which is easy to grow under a cheap 5000k LED 60w equivalent $3.50 (or $7 for 2 bulbs) shop light 8 hours a day in sump refugium at 77-80 degrees.
 
Codium is from temperate water and will start dying if it gets around 80 degrees in my experience. But so long as you're not on the higher end of reef temperature it should be okay.

Reef lighting works but different species have different preferences for the level of lighting, so you might have to experiment with placement.

Someone posted a glossary of algaes a while back which has info for many different species, maybe someone else knows where the link is.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new