Fastest and slowest growing zoas?

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think are the fastest and slowest growing zoas in the hobby? I find that palys in general grow fairly fast as my palythoa grandis has grown two heads since I got it

bluerexy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the cheaper the zoa the faster they grow like eagle eyes and things that are pricey like utters take longer. I know my utters usually take about a month to pop a new head. Also it completely depends on what that specific zoa likes (flow and lighting). If you get them in the perfect spot, some of mine have taken off.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Utter Chaos used to grow pretty darn fast. I would say slowest for awhile has been Golden Maul.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My slowest are my hallucinations and krak gods, fastest are my shouldering cauldrons, WWC ziggy marleys, and gatorades, my fruit loops grow pretty quick as well

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the larger polyps. I have some grandis palys and im a huge fan of them

Yellow polyped zoas are notoriously fast growers.. i don't know the name of the blue ones in these pics but they are fast growers as well
fd8cb5446dc46e80ce64185838823956.png
4557d429dff58cf1349e61e9e9b60f73.jpg

I added the blues about 4 months ago with ~8 polyps.. the yellows I added about 2 months ago with ~10 polyps

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if there are any features to really tell. I have had almost all zoas and generally price is the best indicator of growth pattern... cheap zoas like eagle eyes/dragon eyes grow lightning fast and hallucinations super slow.. Some actually grow fast but dont propagate, ship well or are overly sensitive so they stay pricey despite fast growth rate.

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Sunny Ds that are growing like wild fire.... already took 4 frags 5 heads off the frag I bought mid February and that has 8-10 heads in it now...

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet I have blow pops that I can't get to look healthy any where I put them...

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if there are any features to really tell. I have had almost all zoas and generally price is the best indicator of growth pattern... cheap zoas like eagle eyes/dragon eyes grow lightning fast and hallucinations super slow.. Some actually grow fast but dont propagate, ship well or are overly sensitive so they stay pricey despite fast growth rate.

It always surprises me that utter chaos zoas are so expensive yet many people here report fast growth rates. I guess the marketing helps it stay pricey.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the named zoanthids in my tank my Utter Chaos and Buttmuncher grow the fastest (3-5 polyps a month). My slowest growers are my Blue Hornets and Rastas have not grown since I got them 5 months ago...I have no idea why. They don't looks bad, they just don't grow.

Rankings in my tank:
Fastest
Random Pink Zoanthid (possibly Armor of God)
Utter Chaos
Buttmunchers
Blondies
Hallucinations
Bowsers
Rastas
Blue Hornets
Slowest

OP
OP
A Toadstool Leather

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get such good growth out of zoas? Is it really just down to lighting or do you feed too?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys get such good growth out of zoas? Is it really just down to lighting or do you feed too?
Lights, time of lighting, water quality, flow, and light feeding. I struggled with Rastas. Then I did a bunch of technical research. 4 to start. 7 months later had 8 total. Then did research. Now 30 in 4 months.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights, time of lighting, water quality, flow, and light feeding. I struggled with Rastas. Then I did a bunch of technical research. 4 to start. 7 months later had 8 total. Then did research. Now 30 in 4 months.

What were your findings with your technical research? Care to pass along any tips for Rastas? I started with 5 and I'm still at 5...after four months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back