Fastest dissolving salt?

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The red sea purple bucket seems to dissolve fast. I dump it in a brute and mix it with a drill and a paint mixer and it's clear after a minute or two without any solids at the bottom. I plasti-dipped the metal portion of the mixer and my current one has held up for about two years so far without rust, not that it matters as its cheap to replace.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Esv-b Ionic. Get your water at temp. Add salt mix till clear add mag mix till clear add A wait 1 minute add B done. Use powerhead while mixing. I mixed 3 gallons this way every week for over a year and added as soon as I mixed the last part to my 25 nano with great results. I still mix 3 gallons that way and use when needed to replace skimmer loss. Takes about 10 minutes. I dont do water changes anymore.
But thats another story for another time.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been told evaporated salts like Red Sea are fastest. I haven't tested that theory really. I believe salt needs to mix for several hours regardless of how clear it is.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quantum probiotic salt is the fastest salt to dissolve that I've used it 35+ years and I've used quite a few over the years. Tip the salt into a container of heated water with a wavemaker in and it's good to go i don't even have to use a refractometer if I don't wish to as I weigh the amount of salt and it's always spot on and the specifications of the salt is guaranteed to match bucket for bucket. Now I'll be only using Quantum probiotic salt.

Zach W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest dissolves super quick, if my water is at temp it only takes a couple of minutes to clear!

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply did a very good video where they test most salts . See post #6 please.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially, it's simple mechanics. The smallest granule size will dissolve the fastest. Period.
That means Fritz RPM, which has a very small particle size... essentially it's like dust.

BRS's testing was thorough and worth a watch, although Fritz salts were not included in the tests.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long do you guys mix before use?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jono1487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not Red Sea Coral Pro. It has its advantages but dissolving quickly is not one of them. Plus it leaves brown sediment in the mixing container over time even with rodi water use. It’s probably because of its higher ca and alk levels.

tstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My HW Marinemix Reefer mixes up pretty fast and clean also... But as noted it's really a mute point. I hope I never have to mix and use salt that fast, means something went awry!!!

Tim

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back