Favia die off help needed

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I need a high range nitrate tester though, can't detect it at all on an api kit that I can detect anything over 2.5ppm on, and it's been doing wonderfully for 5+months until this bacterial bloom caused me to move it, maybe it's damage from the bloom maybe it's the new light and tank I'm not sure.
Just a comment. Corals do not lie, if they are unhappy 99% your water parameters are not right. This is regardless what your test tell you, your test can state everything is perfect right on point but try to explain that to a dead coral. The other 1% is something else like light, bumping into coral etc…
Also from my experience high Alk and zero Phos leads to disappointing results unless your are 0.1% top Reefer and you know instinctively how much amino, fatty acids etc… to provide to your corals.
Last corals need food and they are superbly adapted to hunt for food, they have lot of mouth to feed. Light is not enough to keep corals growing, consider light as the gas pedal but you also need proper coral food (fuel for corals). Or they stall and perish. Favias are generally tolerant and it can take months for them to show signs that things are not going well.

Hope your Favia recovers, good luck

OP
OP
B

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous poster was correct. The Hanna high range nitrate checker shows a larger range of nitrates verses the LR model. If your nitrates ever go beyond 5ppm the low range checker will be useless.

I’d suggest at a minimum you get the HR Nitrate and the Ultra low range phosphate to start. The Alk is important also but if you don’t want to buy 3 then wait on the Alk checker since it appears Nit and Phos are the issue at the moment.

Hanna checkers are an investment in the future of your tank. You don’t have to have them obviously but you do need a better way to test. Testing is the only way to know what’s really going on verses guessing. Good luck.
Tested for nitrates and phosphates just now roughly 24 hours later phosphates around .5 ppm and nitrates definitely over zero, no idea what exactly it is but alright I guess I'll invest into some better testing equipment. Favias die off has yet to spread further but two polyps have definitely died

OP
OP
B

Boj4k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a comment. Corals do not lie, if they are unhappy 99% your water parameters are not right. This is regardless what your test tell you, your test can state everything is perfect right on point but try to explain that to a dead coral. The other 1% is something else like light, bumping into coral etc…
Also from my experience high Alk and zero Phos leads to disappointing results unless your are 0.1% top Reefer and you know instinctively how much amino, fatty acids etc… to provide to your corals.
Last corals need food and they are superbly adapted to hunt for food, they have lot of mouth to feed. Light is not enough to keep corals growing, consider light as the gas pedal but you also need proper coral food (fuel for corals). Or they stall and perish. Favias are generally tolerant and it can take months for them to show signs that things are not going well.

Hope your Favia recovers, good luck
Like I said in the original post it recieved regular feeding and was just recently moved from one tank to another, as well as i Year dealing with some shirt of bacterial outbreak so a lot of factors are possibly at play

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said in the original post it recieved regular feeding and was just recently moved from one tank to another, as well as i Year dealing with some shirt of bacterial outbreak so a lot of factors are possibly at play
Tough situation that we've all been in. Sometimes you do everything right and coral get unhappy or die. Even the same type of coral right next to each other can have one look fantastic and the other be dying.

I think you're on the right track getting some better testing equipment so you can monitor things more accurately and hopefully head of any future issues. Good luck with your struggling Favia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back