Favia discussion

Dirtyshoez

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 2, 2025
Messages
265
Reaction score
129
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear about favia placement but like most everything in this hobby the opinions are broad. I have these 3 favias that don't give each other issue on their rack so I'm curious how close they can be on a rock. I'm not a favia pro so I'm not sure what species they are but I assume they are the same none the less. Thanks everyone.

20251118_142743.jpg 20251111_181203.jpg
 
@thamnasteroid would be the one to ask! The middle one and the one on the right look similar in polyps. Not sure about the green and purple one on the left. Could just be the frag hasn't grown out as much yet.
 
@thamnasteroid would be the one to ask! The middle one and the one on the right look similar in polyps. Not sure about the green and purple one on the left. Could just be the frag hasn't grown out as much yet.
I hear about favia placement but like most everything in this hobby the opinions are broad. I have these 3 favias that don't give each other issue on their rack so I'm curious how close they can be on a rock. I'm not a favia pro so I'm not sure what species they are but I assume they are the same none the less. Thanks everyone.

20251118_142743.jpg 20251111_181203.jpg
All three are either Dipsastraea rosaria or Favites (para)flexuosus, both of which might actually be Coelastrea according to recent genetic studies. I believe both species occur pretty shallow on the reef, but I would put them around the middle of your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new