What do you do with overgrown coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JHSteepat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JHSteepat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2023
Messages
337
Reaction score
211
Location
Pittsburgh
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do with your overgrown coral?

I have a 2.5 yr old tank that grows some corals well and others not so well. I have two chalice corals that are weeds and are 8-10” plates now and are starting to encroach on other corals. My meteor cyphastrea is doing what it should and has now covered the rock I isolated it on. My trumpet corals are getting big too. A couple if favias are starting to sprawl. The purple stylo is getting big.

If they stayed the same size it would be great but thats not happening.

Do I take it out and cut it down (assuming I can remove the rock from the tank but some, like the favia, are anchored on very large pieces)? Bring it to lfs for a trade for some gfo, or whatever I need? It seems wasteful to just toss frags in the trash.


20260515_084142_33209787-6B2A-4A06-B3E8-DEC662F341D7.png


20260515_084143_0AFECF64-6EDB-40A5-ADFC-7997CA6931DF.png
 
Frag and trade is what I would do!
 
Trade, sell or give away are always better options than the trash. Or you can set up an overflow tank or two 😉
Overflow tank crossed my mind for a second. My wife would love THAT! In any case I’d just eventually overgrow those……

At least you didn’t say “get a bigger tank”.

I’ll copy this to my local club’s feed.
 
My system is 2 and I have been trimming for over a year. I trim to keep the coral growing in the direction I want.
Some go to my frag system.
I give many to a lfs for resale.
I would give to locals but dont know many locals since I moved.
Some just get recycled into my Carx media bin for future use.
The digi gets trimmed every few weeks to keep it growing up not out into the Surf&Turf stag.
I have not trimmed the Jedi yet.

20260508_110130.jpg
20260508_110110.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new