Favia growing into rock above it...

  • Thread starter Thread starter tdubs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tdubs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2025
Messages
65
Reaction score
57
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Favia that has outgrown it's perfect spot. It is now inflated and touching the rock above it.. will it encrust on the rock above it, or cut itself on the rock and get an infection?

I really don't want to move it.. but if I have to, I have to.
969e9e50-d6a7-4eae-856a-3c3ded29c5d5.jpg


3edc9b12-abd3-4d2a-9203-d8f590c03ba4.jpg
 
Corals grow and spread.
Let it grow.
 
I would suggest to move it to a spot that will have a good 8"-10" of space. Favia's grow, and IME can be very deadly to neighbors. What you have is small, it will keep on growing.
 
I have a Favia that has outgrown it's perfect spot. It is now inflated and touching the rock above it.. will it encrust on the rock above it, or cut itself on the rock and get an infection?

I really don't want to move it.. but if I have to, I have to.
I don't think you will have to worry about infection because of a rock. This happens in the wild also.
It will take a long while to grow onto the rock next to it, if it's happy, leave it. No need to move and upset the balance in hopes to find another spot it likes. That may not happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new