Favites & Dragonsoul aren't doing to well

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some times i see my FoxFace nipping at my Dragon Soul coral. It's not like he does it frequently, and when he does he nibbles a little once and then swims away. No chunks ripped of or anything. I wonder why he does not learn not to bite on it, he doesn't seem to like it anyway! I guess it is him who caused the brown marks on it? Or is it some sort of decease? Honestly it never did well. It also has some tissue regression :(

I'm asking because if you look at the other picture of my Favites war coral, you can see the brown marks on that one too. Only it is a bit different. Favites has just brown spots like if it died away around the mouths. Not like bite marks. The flesh is still in place and and i have never seen Mr. FoxFace bite on it. Is there some kind of decease that you are aware of that could affect my coral like this?

My parameters are the standard ones, except for my Phosphates which are 0.00 but i dose like 5-10 ml Phosphorus per day, and most of the times i get a reading around 0.03. Haven't checked Nitrates for three weeks, but at that time i had 5.

As for PAR it's getting 220 ish. I know it's a bit high - but these brown spots has showed up the past couple of months and i have had this coral for much longer.

I don't have much other corals, but around 8-9 SPS, one Chalice and then Zoas. All seems fine but the mentioned ones.

Any ideas of what is causing this is much appreciated.

IMG_6311.JPG IMG_6312.JPG IMG_6313.JPG

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some times i see my FoxFace nipping at my Dragon Soul coral......
I would remove the fox face and see if things look better, it is common for fox faces to nip at corals.
You could move the corals into a lower par section of the tank.
You could also dip some of the problem corals and see if any pests fall off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dragon quite delicate
If not the foxface, can be:
Change in flow (high),
Alk spike
Low calcium
Elevated phosphate
High salinity

Things to check

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back