Favorite cutting tool for fragging

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok, so I'm on the fence about getting a gryphon salt water band saw for fragging. I never really needed one when fragging SPS, but now that I've been getting more into blastos, torches, hammers, etc., my old method of "use some shears and snap it off" doesn't really work. I'm looking for some insight into what you use and why. Thanks!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a band saw for anything outside acros, millis. Easy to cut with, and precise. I did use it once when cutting up a acro colony who's base was 2 inch thick. Easier than using hand cutters.

OP
OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I use a band saw for anything outside acros, millis. Easy to cut with, and precise. I did use it once when cutting up a acro colony who's base was 2 inch thick. Easier than using hand cutters.
Do you use a "regular" band saw? Or one of the ones specifically for water use (like the Gryphon)?

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dremel with a diamond blade for all my torches, hammers, frogs, etc. The bigger the blade, the easier to make most cuts all the way through. Here are the blades I use:

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you use a "regular" band saw? Or one of the ones specifically for water use (like the Gryphon)?
Gryphon XL, worth every penny. I do a ton of fragging and it’s a workhorse I use it for everything. I find for acros I lose less coral and frags tend to heal faster using the saw. It’s a must for lps and makes fragging zoas easy on plugs.

Take this advice it’s from a fellow Camaro owner lol!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back