Favorite Montipora Capricornis?

jonelder68

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2023
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
3,232
Location
Olathe
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into grabbing a few monti caps to start off with in my tank. Theres so many to pick from. Several I probably haven’t even discovered. What’s your favorites and vender who has them? Pictures would be greatly appreciated as well :)
IMG_7689.jpeg

My plan is to mount maybe 2-3 different ones on the center back rock/island and hopefully let them grow out around each other. While leaving the main rocks for the Acro ‘s.
 
Looking into grabbing a few monti caps to start off with in my tank. Theres so many to pick from. Several I probably haven’t even discovered. What’s your favorites and vender who has them? Pictures would be greatly appreciated as well :)
IMG_7689.jpeg

My plan is to mount maybe 2-3 different ones on the center back rock/island and hopefully let them grow out around each other. While leaving the main rocks for the Acro ‘s.
I have a plain red one that grows like crazy but a friend on here won the TSA $1000 shopping spree and picked up two jaw dropping red and green grafted ones. I wish I had known about them.
35BC4688-EF80-42F8-A8B9-81B2BE826B6F.jpeg
 
I dont know what its called but someone I "know" has a nice green one with red polyps and kind of a blue growth ring. I think it was called something like seasons greetings. I dont typically like monty caps but that one really got me. Maybe in my 180 once up and running I will find space and see if I can get a frag from him.
 
I have a plain red one that grows like crazy but a friend on here won the TSA $1000 shopping spree and picked up two jaw dropping red and green grafted ones. I wish I had known about them.
35BC4688-EF80-42F8-A8B9-81B2BE826B6F.jpeg
I need to find some pictures of all the grafted varieties in tanks. Not sure if I’m a fan of them or not….seems they would be super eye catching and stick out real bad.

1747504911743.jpeg

I would love to have something this where the spiral up around each other :)
 
Sunset …red with yellow polyps
 
Last edited:
I dont know what its called but someone I "know" has a nice green one with red polyps and kind of a blue growth ring. I think it was called something like seasons greetings.
IMG_7695.png

I like! Just a step up from a plane green.
 
Love my plain and simple red and green Montis.

IMG_4187.jpeg
I dont know how people do this. When I tried that or grafting, one always overpowered the other one and eventually it just became the orange one lol.
 
I dont know how people do this. When I tried that or grafting, one always overpowered the other one and eventually it just became the orange one lol.
I’m hoping to achieve something similar. That’s discouraging.
 
I like just about all the caps. I have red,green purple,melon berry,and cherry tree. Have sunset and purple rimmed green coming in next week.
 

Attachments

  • 20250126_113605.jpg
    20250126_113605.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20250126_113656.jpg
    20250126_113656.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20250228_175045.jpg
    20250228_175045.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20250516_201051.jpg
    20250516_201051.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 44
  • 20250516_201605.jpg
    20250516_201605.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 53
I like just about all the caps. I have red,green purple,melon berry,and cherry tree. Have sunset and purple rimmed green coming in next week.
I love the melonberry, the purple polyps are perfect imo. does it plate like a cap for you? for me it mostly encrusts but will shelf over small gaps.
 
I love the melonberry, the purple polyps are perfect imo. does it plate like a cap for you? for me it mostly encrusts but will shelf over small gaps.
It's doing both for me.
 
It's doing both for me.
It’s always interesting to me to hear how some peoples encrust vs plating. I’ve never researched much but wonder if there’s any scientific reason/or even theory why on this.
 
It’s always interesting to me to hear how some peoples encrust vs plating. I’ve never researched much but wonder if there’s any scientific reason/or even theory why on this.
Mine is in a high flow area. Also there is a acro next to it that seems to be stopping the encrusting from spreading.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new