Feather Duster feeding

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. I just got a feather duster and was wondering if direct feeding it reef roids once a week is enough food for it (aside from what it filters from me feeding mysis to my fish)? Does it need live phyto? Is once a week enough or more often?

thanks!

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some others can prob answer better but they seem to like very fine particulate food/plankton. Jake Adam’s feeds his x-mas worms a plethora of prepared fine foods (he has a reefbuilders video on his coral food).

frequency of feed is hard...many reports that they look ok but are actually starving or don’t make it past a year. I would think size and maturity as well as fish population of the tank all matter in terms of frequency. I also would think ever present food in the water column is what they want. Some feed phyto daily and others x times weekly...maybe start where you are comfortable and monitor water quality as well as worm behavior (is it always out and feeding and defecating?). I feed my tank a capful of concentrated phyto daily to keep dusters fed (at least I think) as well as roids and other particulate foods when I feed corals/fish.

just curious is it a Hawaiian duster or another kind?

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some others can prob answer better but they seem to like very fine particulate food/plankton. Jake Adam’s feeds his x-mas worms a plethora of prepared fine foods (he has a reefbuilders video on his coral food).

frequency of feed is hard...many reports that they look ok but are actually starving or don’t make it past a year. I would think size and maturity as well as fish population of the tank all matter in terms of frequency. I also would think ever present food in the water column is what they want. Some feed phyto daily and others x times weekly...maybe start where you are comfortable and monitor water quality as well as worm behavior (is it always out and feeding and defecating?). I feed my tank a capful of concentrated phyto daily to keep dusters fed (at least I think) as well as roids and other particulate foods when I feed corals/fish.

just curious is it a Hawaiian duster or another kind?
It is a golden feather duster (Sabellastarte sp.) Not sure which that is

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, i find that those with soft shells have a easier time in my tank. All of them seem extremely sensitive to having constant low flow on them.
a search on BRS for “feather duster food” brings up a whole host of potential options too

Back