Feather duster worm colour change during feeding!!

FishyThoughts

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2024
Messages
25
Reaction score
9
Location
Down South
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers, I recently started my first salt water tank (Fluval spec 60) and I've added a feather duster worm to my tank. It took about 5 or so days to properly acclimate to my tank (such that the "feather dusters" are fully extended and look more fuller compared to when I first added it)


During feeding today, I payed extra attention to the worm and noticed it pulses to a darker shade during eating. It's the first time I've seen it so this! Has anyone else experienced this before? It's quite cool to see up close.

Edit: here's a link to the video, Feather duster pulsing
 
Last edited:
Now that's bizarre. I have never seen that before. Very cool, thank you for sharing.

:cool:
 
Now that's bizarre. I have never seen that before. Very cool, thank you for sharing.

:cool:
Quite a sight to behold! Not sure which feather duster it is but it was overlooked at the LFS for months probably due to it's dull colour and now it's showing its beauty in my tank!
 
Quite a sight to behold! Not sure which feather duster it is but it was overlooked at the LFS for months probably due to it's dull colour and now it's showing its beauty in my tank!

I would have never guessed they had the potential to do that. They must have Chromatophores, which seems odd considering it's the plume pulsating.
 
I would have never guessed they had the potential to do that. They must have Chromatophores, which seems odd considering it's the plume pulsating.
Quite odd indeed. A quick Google search suggests nothing that they contain Chromatophores. I'd love to know if other reefers have experienced this same phenomenon.
 
Almost looks like a tube anemone which is more fluorescent, are there tentacles in the center or just an opening?
 
Almost looks like a tube anemone which is more fluorescent, are there tentacles in the center or just an opening?
No tentacles, it's definitely a feather duster worm. It's busy rebuilding its tube after I moved the rock it was under and tore the previous tube.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new