Feather Duster

  • Thread starter Thread starter jconley
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jconley

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2024
Messages
25
Reaction score
7
Location
Fort Worth
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a feather duster from local store, it looked good in the sand. Now that is's home, the head or top looks dead and the feathers are coming out the side.
Should I do anything?
38edc6da-4c55-4620-86c9-35ed5d64a685.jpg
 
Personally I’d move the tube under the sand and leave just its head exposed. Sometimes they shed their crown/feathers and they will grow new ones. I would leave it alone for a while.
 
Personally I’d move the tube under the sand and leave just its head exposed. Sometimes they shed their crown/feathers and they will grow new ones. I would leave it alone for a while.
So when you say head, is the head always where the feathers are? For instance, I would bury both sides of it, with the feathers in the middle sticking out? Or just leave it alone where it is now?
 
The feathers are called the crown, and the crown is where its head is. If its sticking out the middle the of the tube, then leave it. It will rebuild its tube, just make sure it has enough to eat, feed it phyto.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new