OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of hardwood furniture rather than plywood.

But a question I'm very curious about...

With the weight of a large tank on it, say 120g or larger, will a hardwood top panel still be able to 'float' on the stand enough to avoid checking or splitting as it seasonally expands and contracts ... in the same way a table top needs to float on its apron ... or a door panel needs to 'float' in the stiles and rails?

***Am still curious about this ... but just noticed that you decided to go the plywood top route, so it wouldn't be an issue. ***
Good question, but I don't know the answer. The wood has a different coefficient of expansion than the glass. Oak is 10-6 x 2.3. Glass is 10-6 x 5.0. So, the glass expands at roughly twice the rate of the wood. 40 deg F change in temperature would expand 48" of oak along it grain by .004 and glass by .0096. So your differential expansion is .0056 over that length. 40 deg F is a big swing in temperature though. I'd expect that the glass would not change as the temperature should be kept at 78 deg F. Then, it's just a matter of the wood changing. I expect that the temperature of the water would moderate any decrease in temperature. So, it's a complex calculation which would require testing to really figure it out. Sorry for the long answer, it's my engineering past coming out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited. It's in the house and ready for the final touches. I hope to have everything done by mid next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 52

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the trim below the tank that gives it that pedistool look. Nice!

Space. Make enough space for a sump. Lol.
Don't be afraid to leave an edge around the tank for those beer drinkers or ppl who like a glass of wine lol.

+1 I went with magnets and wood skin panels.
How much does that wood light stand weigh? I wouldn't want a lot of weight like that sitting on my tank like that.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grey is in. I suggest other colors other than brown. Black. White. Grey. Lol.

Floating canopies are ok but are falling off as most are using 3d printed shades.
I actually enjoy it when the tank is enclosed and has nice doors on the hood and the whole top comes up as well like on a piano hinge.

Don't be afraid to make taller canopies do the lights can be mounted inside high enough to actually cover the tank.

Miss my old tanks u r making me. Lol.
Have a good night everyone!
Devin

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of hardwood furniture rather than plywood.

But a question I'm very curious about...

With the weight of a large tank on it, say 120g or larger, will a hardwood top panel still be able to 'float' on the stand enough to avoid checking or splitting as it seasonally expands and contracts ... in the same way a table top needs to float on its apron ... or a door panel needs to 'float' in the stiles and rails?

***Am still curious about this ... but just noticed that you decided to go the plywood top route, so it wouldn't be an issue. ***
It's all about load dispersal. Think about 250 pound guy standing in tennis shoes vs a petite 95 pounder standing in stilettos. The load on the stilletos is greater than on the soles of the sneakers. This is another reason why leveling legs of which I am a personal fan are not always the best solution. If for example you are setting up a large tank on a second floor or over floor joists of questionable integrity, then lateral stand members acting as grade beams can spread the load safely rather than concentrating the weight at the feet. So, no. You would have zero issues with your plywood. I can keep talking about how incredibly strong an engineered laminate like plywood is but I think you get the point.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually volunteered at a public aquarium and the curator their actually laminated wood on the stands he made.
He of course liked everything free or cheap. Lol.
-d

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about load dispersal. Think about 250 pound guy standing in tennis shoes vs a petite 95 pounder standing in stilettos. The load on the stilletos is greater than on the soles of the sneakers. This is another reason why leveling legs of which I am a personal fan are not always the best solution. If for example you are setting up a large tank on a second floor or over floor joists of questionable integrity, then lateral stand members acting as grade beams can spread the load safely rather than concentrating the weight at the feet. So, no. You would have zero issues with your plywood. I can keep talking about how incredibly strong an engineered laminate like plywood is but I think you get the point.
Yeah, I probably could've written my question/concern a little more clearly...

I wasn't talking about plywood. I've built a few stands solely out of plywood and have great appreciation for the strength and stability of laminated wood.

And I wasn't talking about wood expansion in relation to glass and it's properties of expansion/contraction.

When I began reading the thread, it sounded like GrampsReef was intending to make a hardwood top for the stand.

And I was curious and concerned solely the hardwood top itself...

Large panels of hardwood will expand and contract with seasonal shifts in humidity (unless you have an incredibly well sealed, well regulated (temp/humidity) house). That's why large hardwood panels need to be attached to cabinets, table aprons, etc. in ways that allow them to 'float' on their bases. Such by using table top fasteners, button clips, or twin-circle clips ... that allow the wood to move.

Otherwise, the hardwood panel would develop checks and cracks.

I did see later in the thread that GrampsReef decided to go with plywood instead of hardwood. So, my question is no longer relevant to his stand.

But it still leaves me curious and wondering...

Does anyone know if the weight of a big tank, say 120g or larger, would prevent a hardwood-panel top from expanding and contracting properly ... and result in the hardwood top developing cracks and checks?

Sorry @GrampsReef, I didn't mean to derail you thread...

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I bought an unfinished wall cabinet, modified it for my needs. Hung it on the wall above the aquarium. Made an upside down drawer, with drawer slides. Mounted this to the under side of the wall cabinet. I put my lights and reflector in the drawer. When I wanted to work on the aquarium I just pushed the drawer back under the cabinet. If major work needed to be done, the drawer could be removed. BTW I don’t trust dimensional lumber. For long term aquarium support. High grade of plywood with dimensional lumber trim.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is finally finished and I have transferred from my 55 gallon to my new/used 110 gallon tank. I thought I would post some pictures of the set up and once again thank everyone for their inputs. Now that this is done, I going to start to make the canopy.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1312.JPG
    IMG_1312.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished building and installing the new canopy that matches the stand I made earlier. I thought I'd post some pictures to show it and my reef tank. I also included some in process pictures. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1374.JPG IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back