Features for an Aquarium Stand?

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I used to build aquarium stands and canopies in the late 1990's. So, when I decided to get back into owning a reef tank I built my stand out of Hard White Maple (I am an avid wood worker with a well equipped shop). I have received several complements on it and a local reef store has agreed to putting one of my stands on display in their shop (consignment). My intent is to make high quality stands from hardwood, which is different than most commercially available stands, which are plywood or MDF.

I would love to have inputs from experienced reef tank owners about what features a high end stand should include. Here are my initial thoughts:

Set the height at 32"
Include a safety strap to hook to the wall.
Have a compartment doors large enough to store a 5 gallon water container or a sump.
Have drawers to store water testing supplies with a vial holder for testing.

I would really like to hear what else would be good to have.

Also, are canopies in or out of style. I built a light stand for mine instead of a canopy.

I have 50 board feet of Cherry ready to build the stand to put in the reef store.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0524.JPG

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My requirements. Stand at least 36" tall, and doors on the end as well as the front. I hate having to bend down to look into the tank, and doors on the sides make accessibility so much better.
I've been thinking about doors on the ends or a slide out of some sort.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stand!

When at all possible(ie small tank/stands) i dont want a brace in the middle of the front. Just too limiting.

I like the idea of access on the sides, but would not want it to look like there were doors there if that makes sense.

I also would not want drawers in the stand of any sort. For me maximum available space and flexibility for using the space is key. Very much personal preference though.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful stand!

When at all possible(ie small tank/stands) i dont want a brace in the middle of the front. Just too limiting.

I like the idea of access on the sides, but would not want it to look like there were doors there if that makes sense.

I also would not want drawers in the stand of any sort. For me maximum available space and flexibility for using the space is key. Very much personal preference though.
Thank you. I'll have to figure out a way to carry the load without a center support. My stand has a center support and a center wall from front to back for strength. Any weakness there would possible cause the tank to crack. I could likely create a beam across the front using layers of wood glued together like they use in home for structural support under large openings.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one feature that I would find most valuable is to provide an access to remove whatever sized sump is used without having to drain the tank. Whether it be from the sides, (removable panels) or from the front (no center brace). You just never know when max access might be needed.

EDIT: Oh. By the way, that is a beautiful stand!

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one feature that I would find most valuable is to provide an access to remove whatever sized sump is used without having to drain the tank. Whether it be from the sides, (removable panels) or from the front (no center brace). You just never know when max access might be needed.

EDIT: Oh. By the way, that is a beautiful stand!
Thank you

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP...You're not going what I have to say.

Tbh, I think wood stands look 1980ish to me. Might as well mount a deer head over the tank Lololololololololol

I like the contemporary look of anodized metal stands combo'ed with high-end luxury high gloss plastic paneling. Either black or white... probably black

Especially non-existant HOODS. Yuke, yuke yuke having a hood that stands out and yells, "LOOOK AT ME IM A HOOD!!!"

The less footprint, the better.

Guess what I'm getting at is a Stand should be clean and HIDDEN. Hidden doors, everything flush with as little eye sore as possible.

If you can put a tank in a wall, DO IT!

But I'm a contemporary furniture house kinda of guy too

I love earth tones and contemporay METALS as a house furnishings theme.

ABSOLUTELY DREAM HOUSES AND TANKS
133689_1_800.jpg

257063_1_800.jpg

modern-interior-iwagumi-aquarium-aquarium-architecture-img~65514318083d6784_4-3217-1-0e60a9a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tbh, I think wood stands look 1980ish to me. Might as well mount a deer head over the tank Lololololololololol

I like the contemporary look of anodized metal stands combo'ed with high-end luxury high gloss plastic paneling. Either black or white... probably black

Especially non-existant HOODS. Yuke, yuke yuke having a hood that stands out and yells, "LOOOK AT ME IM A HOOD!!!"

Guess what I'm getting at is a Stand should be clean and HIDDEN. Hidden doors, everything flush with as little eye sore as possible.

133689_1_800.jpg

257063_1_800.jpg

modern-interior-iwagumi-aquarium-aquarium-architecture-img~65514318083d6784_4-3217-1-0e60a9a.jpg
That's something to keep in mind. Making a stand with no features would be much easier than making one with features. I can do both. Thanks for the inputs and awesome pictures. Are those of your tanks?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank less then 4 foot really doesn't need a center support IMO, outside of some crazy deep tank that is. I put center supports in the back of the stand just as an added safety measure but in the front just use 2×6 beams with solid corners. Skinned with wood of your choice. You can park a car on my 90gallon stand.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, a fully opening front. I don’t want a center support in the front on a 4’ or less stand. I like to be able to fully open and access any and all equipment.

I put the electronics and other sensitive equipment in a side cabinet that stays dry.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

133689_1_800.jpg

257063_1_800.jpg

All gorgeous but architect's dream = maintainer's nightmare.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been designing the stand in my head based on the inputs from everyone. My thinking at this point is:

1. Leave out the center support.
  2. Have removable side panels that are attached with spring loaded magnetic latches. Push to open.
  3. The stand can be featureless or with features like my stand:
    1. Standard will be featured
    2. Featureless will be an option
  4. The top of the stand:
    1. Standard will provide almost complete access to the bottom of the tank for plumbing.
    2. A solid top panel will be an option for frameless tanks. The buyer will have to drill it though.
  5. Provide LED strip lighting inside of the stand.
  6. Provide a slide out shelf across the bottom so that the sump can be accessed. Any thoughts on this?
My intent is to provide a stand with utilities that those of us with reef tanks believe would be great to have. I love doing stuff like that. Most will be custom order.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

133689_1_800.jpg

257063_1_800.jpg

By the way. I did liked what you said a lot. Thanks. :)

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tank less then 4 foot really doesn't need a center support IMO, outside of some crazy deep tank that is. I put center supports in the back of the stand just as an added safety measure but in the front just use 2×6 beams with solid corners. Skinned with wood of your choice. You can park a car on my 90gallon stand.
2 x 6 beam is plenty strong. Mine only has a 5/8" x 3" cross beam. That's too small for lasting support. I'll beef it up.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provide a slide out shelf across the bottom so that the sump can be accessed. Any thoughts on this?
I've considered this before. Obviously it would require hardware that can handle the weight (I had considered casters directly on the floor with a faux kick plate that came out with it. Also the plumming has to be directed to the front with an open path in the sump for the forward movement.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered this before. Obviously it would require hardware that can handle the weight (I had considered casters directly on the floor with a faux kick plate that came out with it. Also the plumming has to be directed to the front with an open path in the sump for the forward movement.
I believe they make drawer slides suitable for 300 pounds. I'm not sure how much weight it needs to support though. I could put two sets of slides under the slide out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back