View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
Welcome back to the hobby.

One thing to check and I can't speak for anything GHL since I do not own one is see if they have any form of heat beat in their app/portal. If you happen to travel frequently it is a nice feature to have. Power goes out, backups kick in, but many forget to also backup router and network gear. Apex Fusion, if you set it up, fires off a heat beat ping to your Apex unit and can alert you if it is down and/or offline. This has helped me on occasion when I was out.

If that isn't a high requirement at least remember to add that to your planning for what needs redundancy or battery backup.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has piqued my interest as I am researching a new build after being out of the hobby for 7 years. I was checking out the GHL site and saw the GHL Connect App.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/software/ghl-connect-app/
Does this not have full functionality on iOS devices? Just trying to make an informed decision.

Yes. You need to do initial setup of the devices on a PC, but after that you can use iOS, no problem.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned both, my feedback is comparing the software modules between Apex and GHL.

I purchased an Apex controller a few years ago and while intrigued by the program-ability of the Apex, I found myself disappointed in the overall product and support. As a software developer, I was actually looking forward to being able to write my own logic. I was disappointed in how I would run into bugs that resulted in poor reliability after power failures. In addition, power switches would occasionally get stuck in the "on" position, causing too much of one thing or another to happen. I don't mean any disrespect towards folks who have a great experience with the Apex products. That just wasn't my own experience.

I more recently switched to a GHL Profilux 4 Controller and two of their 2.1 controllable dosers. This is just my personal opinion, but I find the GHL software to be a lot better all around. Most importantly, GHL support in the USA is absolutely incredible thanks to Marco Reef and Sleif. They both reply to emails and calls very quickly, and even drop shipped a plastic pump housing on one occasion that had a known noise issue. With the GHL controller, I don't get to do any real programming because the GHL is all graphical user interface driven and it already meets my needs with flexible setting options. It's a simple interface for even the most novice user to understand and "just works".

Is GHL perfect? Not by a long shot. The documentation is in broken german/english so I found myself asking Marco what a certain paragraphs meant. He speaks both languages fluently and could explain what the manual was supposed to say. Once I had the proper translation to a technical matter, I was on my way.

When I experience the occasional power failure using the GHL equipment, the GHL controller reconnects to wifi without issue every time.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I experience the occasional power failure using the GHL equipment, the GHL controller reconnects to wifi without issue every time.

That is my problem with my classic. After power outage it does not comeback online.
I was told to put it on static but no go. I believe it tries to connect and my wireless device boots slower, it cant get a ip and just sits there instead of trying again till it gets one..
I know Sanjay was just asking for help on the same issue and could not fix it. I do not like wireless and want to hard wire it but I am moving it into the basement system.

My other issue is when I log in direct to the Apex my pages do not refresh automatically.

It works fine for the most part I just never can get to it with Fusion unless I reboot the thing.

I have a new second system in a box I just do not know if I want to use it.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You need to do initial setup of the devices on a PC, but after that you can use iOS, no problem.

You use to need the initial PC for setup, but with the connect app, you join the hotspot and you can configure the device. There are a few video's out about how to do this for the Lights, P4, and Dosers.

This is me connecting my Lx7206 via my iphone:

This is the P4 using the Connect app also:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto good catch, but do you still need a PC for firmware updates?

You still need to use a PC to a firmware update on the P4. But is is slated to be ported to html interface. They have already done this with the html interface updates and WiFi firmware updates already which use to have to be done with the pc software and are now both done by logging into the P4 web interface itself.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back