Fedex left euphyllia for dead

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Some bad news, Fedex delayed an order of gold hammers and they are dying. I'm surprised it isn't worst to be honest.

The tissue has receded from the edges of the skeleton which is usually a guarantee they won't survive. Regardless I want to try to save them, is there anything one can try in this situation? Anyone have any success stories?

20191108_200232.jpg
20191108_200226.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
I have seem them come back from that. I would just try to keep the tank as stable as posible and try to put some amino acids on the tank. And don’t touch them or move them.
That's encouraging! I've heard stories of people saving euphyllia in this state, but never how. It just baffles me how the tissue could grow back into its skeleton.

Thanks for the advice - Will start some AA's tomorrow to give it more nutrients.

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral
OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
How strong is your lighting? It might be worth putting it in a place with low lighting and low to medium flow to give it a bit of a break..
I run LEDs and T5 - these guys are shaded completely and in low flow for now.

Tamberav

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine came back from worse...

Once when I overdosed alk and literally it was a bare skeleton and I just left it in the tank...months later it started growing back from what was probably some left over tissue inside the skeleton. Complexity recovered.

The other one I bought a used tank with livestock in it that was doing poorly. It had a gold hammer that looked like yours.... it recovered and popped some new heads since.

Corals.com
OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone. Since I've got 2 pieces I'm going to put one in another system with happy hammers and see which does better. Fingers crossed!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
6 weeks! They will come back.

Saltyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
my aussie gold looked like this in the LFS. bought it anyways and it bounced back in about 4-6 weeks. seems normal for euphyllia to retract into the center and showing bare skeleton on the edges sometimes.

OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
The frags are at day 3 now and have isolated Brown jelly disease - you can see it seeping out from under the tissue and between the skeletal ridges. I run a ton of carbon so it hasn't consumed the entire head. Should I dip or wait it out?

current params:
Alk: 9.5
Ca: 420
NO3: 50
PO4: 0.24
Salinity: 1.025

20191111_195516.jpg

OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Here it is after sucking up the brown stuff, mostly still intact. Makes me wonder if this is actually brown jelly, or just dead tissue starting to rot?
Screenshot_20191111-202325_Gallery.jpg

Earn WWC Rewards Points

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 203 54.4%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 123 33.0%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 34 9.1%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors