feedback on my tank project thus far

virginreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things I forgot to mention. I will be housing mixed reef corals with a strong emphasis on SPS corals. I simply love the way they look. I also have a bio-reactor that I would like to use or simply use the chemipure blue bio bags... I have those as well. Appreciate your honest feedback.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video plays for me.

Set up is very clean. Very good idea to line that stand with plywood. I have the same stand in a different sized IM tank. I have all 3 drains separate but thought about changing my secondary and tertiary drains to be connected as yours is now. Overall looking good, scape looks great as well. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

OP
OP
virginreef

virginreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video plays for me.

Set up is very clean. Very good idea to line that stand with plywood. I have the same stand in a different sized IM tank. I have all 3 drains separate but thought about changing my secondary and tertiary drains to be connected as yours is now. Overall looking good, scape looks great as well. Looking forward to seeing this one progress.

when it comes to the return drain... do you think I should get a hard plastic pipe instead of the PVC pipe? I am concerned that i won't be able to service the pump if need by... I have the pipe going directly into the pump right now. Also, with regards to the return pump... should I have added a control valve, like I have on my primary drain? Appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
virginreef

virginreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video plays for me.

also... looking at my setup, where can or should I add the UV sterilizer should I need to use it.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 1' silicone tubing between my hard plumbing and the return pump to reduce vibrations. I don't plan on routine servicing my return pump, but if I need to take it out, then I will likely clip the zip ties holding the silicone tubing around the barb fittings and pull it.

As for the UV, I would run a T off of your return hard plumbing with a spears gate valve to dial down the flow through the UV and route the return into the display tank up the back. You could run the UV return back into the primary drain chamber of the sump if you wanted to reduce the piping up the back of the tank. There is a bit of redundancy in that option but a lot cleaner.

OP
OP
virginreef

virginreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 1' silicone tubing between my hard plumbing and the return pump to reduce vibrations. I don't plan on routine servicing my return pump, but if I need to take it out, then I will likely clip the zip ties holding the silicone tubing around the barb fittings and pull it.

As for the UV, I would run a T off of your return hard plumbing with a spears gate valve to dial down the flow through the UV and route the return into the display tank up the back. You could run the UV return back into the primary drain chamber of the sump if you wanted to reduce the piping up the back of the tank. There is a bit of redundancy in that option but a lot cleaner.

Ok so you have a zip time positioned where the hard piping meet the silicone or where the silicone meet the return pump... or both? is this the kind of zip you can get from the hardware store?

Also, the second gate valve, will that go before or after the "t"? also, am I to only turn down the flow if I have to use the UV correct?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got barbed pvc slip fittings that turn a standard pvc pipe into a barbed fitting. The silicone tubing slipped over the barbed fitting, then a standard zip tie you'd grab at any store over the silicone around the barbed section. I personally only have one zipped on the end attached to the plumbing, not at the pump end. Seems to be fine.

The spears gate valve would go after the T piece. That gate valve would allow fine tuning to flow to the UV. If you wanted zero flow through the UV, then you would simply close the gate valve fully.

OP
OP
virginreef

virginreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got barbed pvc slip fittings that turn a standard pvc pipe into a barbed fitting. The silicone tubing slipped over the barbed fitting, then a standard zip tie you'd grab at any store over the silicone around the barbed section. I personally only have one zipped on the end attached to the plumbing, not at the pump end. Seems to be fine.

The spears gate valve would go after the T piece. That gate valve would allow fine tuning to flow to the UV. If you wanted zero flow through the UV, then you would simply close the gate valve fully.
tracking, thank you

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back