Feeding a Cooperband

zbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bought a cooper band 5 days ago, beautiful fish! have not seen him feeding when i put pmysis,what else can i feed him,don"t want to loose him! looks healthy, see him constantly "nipping" into the sand bed and rocks

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its @Paul B who has a healthy speciman eating worm cultures and bbs from a diy feeder.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used live black worms to get mine feeding and he now happily feeds from my spot-feeder. I could probably feed him by hand now. Don’t give up!

I would skip the blood worms as they are a bit large for their mouths and aren’t a native food for their diet.

Bubbythebull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always do research before buying...to my knowledge, they don't eat mysis...live black worms **may work...I had one eating cyclopeeze.., pretty heartily...and still didn't make it past a month. Generally a super tough fish to keep.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to live blackworms (which work almost every time!), I have gotten CBBs to eat by splitting open little neck clams and putting them in the tank.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep try live black worms. Masstick has worked for me, even rocks with some tube worms on them along with a healthy pod population. You can even try clam on half shell but the pieces may be too big for its mouth. Make sure to not leave the clam in the tank for too long, it can foul water quality pretty quick in a QT tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep try live black worms. Masstick has worked for me, even rocks with some tube worms on them along with a healthy pod population. You can even try clam on half shell but the pieces may be too big for its mouth. Make sure to not leave in the clam in the tank for too long, it can foul water quality pretty quick in a QT tank.

+1 You can also try oyster on the half shell if you can find it. Sometimes they will eat that one day, a clam on the half shell the next.

Pods + aiptasia would be more natural food for them.

OP
OP
Z

zbar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep try live black worms. Masstick has worked for me, even rocks with some tube worms on them along with a healthy pod population. You can even try clam on half shell but the pieces may be too big for its mouth. Make sure to not leave the clam in the tank for too long, it can foul water quality pretty quick in a QT tank.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used live black worms to get mine feeding and he now happily feeds from my spot-feeder. I could probably feed him by hand now. Don’t give up!

I would skip the blood worms as they are a bit large for their mouths and aren’t a native food for their diet.

Where do you find live blackworms? I am trying to feed mine as well.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old man had one for about 9 years before a tank crash, sounds crazy but it would eat if the cube was still frozenish and he could pick what he wanted off it.

Granted the tank was old and had plenty of live natural food as well.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order from Aquatic Foods, called California Blackworms. Their ordering process is a bit dated but their product is fantastic. Recommend ordering their keepers if you don’t have any, makes cleaning them a breeze.

Where do you find live blackworms? I am trying to feed mine as well.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are incredibly smart fish once they get established. Mine eats direct from the feeding tube with his beak which prevents other fish from eating his portion and breaks up smaller particles to feed my anthias and corals. I have seen other folks use a small pvc pipe with caps and holes drilled in them to allow them to “hunt” for the food in their natural way.

here is mine, 2 years old now.

52B756A9-5C62-49D3-95F7-430C152EC472.jpeg

My old man had one for about 9 years before a tank crash, sounds crazy but it would eat if the cube was still frozenish and he could pick what he wanted off it.

Granted the tank was old and had plenty of live natural food as well.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i see the feeding tube you have?i have noticed this morning with lights off he was looking around a rock i guess hunting. but he is not eating anything off the QT bottom.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i see the feeding tube you have?i have noticed this morning with lights off he was looking around a rock i guess hunting. but he is not eating anything off the QT bottom.
Hey X I saw your post and wanted to share what feeding tube I used. I put in some LRS reef frenzy and mysis and they started picking right away. Was also able to get my Copperband to eat Masstick. The tube came from an AquaMedic fish trap.

20200205_060151.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back