When Did Everyone Start Feeding So Much?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally do two light feedings a day sometimes one heavy one. If I get called out and miss a day I don’t think twice. I have a jerk Damsel solo in a tank that gets fed every other day and he’s 15 years old (I took responsibility for him so… he’s a jerk). All my fish do have the option to hunt pods or algae if they want and they do. Anyways years ago this was pretty common. At what point did 3+ times a day become common practice? One of my buddies thinks I’m satan for only feeding once or twice a day. It really gets him when I remind him I only feed frozen 2-3 per week.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally do two light feedings a day sometimes one heavy one. If I get called out and miss a day I don’t think twice. I have a jerk Damsel solo in a tank that gets fed every other day and he’s 15 years old (I took responsibility for him so… he’s a jerk). All my fish do have the option to hunt pods or algae if they want and they do. Anyways years ago this was pretty common. At what point did 3+ times a day become common practice? One of my buddies thinks I’m satan for only feeding once or twice a day. It really gets him when I remind him I only feed frozen 2-3 per week.
I feed every other day. Fish are fat and happy. I think it depends on what species are kept. But I think people overfeed in general too. Nothing wrong with that as long as balance is found, imo.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 4-5 times a day when I introduce new fish, to help keep stress levels as low as possible. After 3-4 weeks I go down to twice a day, sometimes three times.

I give them nori at least once, sometimes twice. But I’m home during the day so it’s easy for me. When I wasn’t, I was feeding once a day.

Also when I look at videos of marine fish in the wild, they’re so fat and plump. I figure that’s how they’re meant to be.

saltienewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my freshwater tank I feed every other day.
My reef tank I spread the one feeding into multiple times. With all the filtration on my tank I don’t really notice extra food waste. After having Dinos I would rather have some extra nutrients than too little.
Skimmer/corals really helps keep the waste products down vs freshwater

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm firm into the 'overfeeding' camp in comparison. I feed freeze dried 9x per day (every hour on the hour during the lighting cycle) with an Avast Plank, I feed Nori 1 - 2 times a day, and I'll manually feed mysis with selcon when I feel like it.

I do keep Anthias and Chromis (with long-term success).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 cubes of home made food daily (when I'm home) and a lil flake in the big tank, twice a day on a auto feeder (doesn't drop a ton).

It all depends on stocking and type of fish, imo. IME if you have rabbitfish, large angelfish or large tangs (acanthurus especially) all bets are off, lol. Those suckers will eat anything and everything you toss in without fail.

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t concern yourself with what other people think. It solves so many problems.

At 15 years old you’re obviously doing something right.

Oh I don’t. Its just weird to hop back on the forums after years to see bubble tips are no longer bubble tips, everyone switched to windex instead of water, and fish apparently need more feeding than a neonat.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your fish stock list. I have 30+ fish including fully grown tangs, lots of anthias, and a picky copperband. I have to feed 2-3x a day. If I have a tank of just damsels, I will feed less.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I don’t. Its just weird to hop back on the forums after years to see bubble tips are no longer bubble tips, everyone switched to windex instead of water, and fish apparently need more feeding than a neonat.
Welcome back. A lot has changed. New technology, new equipments, new research. Curious to what you mean by bubble tips are no longer bubble tips though??

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point did 3+ times a day become common practice?

Dunno. For sure, back 50 years ago, when keeping freshwater and Axelrod's book was the bible, IIRC feeding a few times a week was recommended.

But I think people overfeed in general too.

Completely agree. Fat fish can develop problems too.

Also when I look at videos of marine fish in the wild, they’re so fat and plump. I figure that’s how they’re meant to be.

Not in general. Ask fishermen. A fat fish is rare, and usually means it contains roe, ready for spawning.

Also, it's not about stomach size. Judge by the flesh on the back behind the head. A smooth continuous curve from head to shoulder, not ballooned out, and not concave. That's a normal fish that's getting proper nutrition.

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. A lot has changed. New technology, new equipments, new research. Curious to what you mean by bubble tips are no longer bubble tips though??
My night lights are on so it’s kinda closed up, but all my bubble tips look like this:

IMG_3380.jpeg

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I overfeed but mostly out of circumstance. I have a puffer that only will eat frozen and can't out compete tangs and the trigger so I end up having to feed enough for everyone but the tangs also get nori on top. They are quite fat.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's been found that keeping certain species of fish, especially in multiples, is more successful when those fish don't feel they need to kill their buddies to ensure they have enough food. Feeding more often can help with aggression among anthias, for example.

OP
OP
The_Paradox

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's been found that keeping certain species of fish, especially in multiples, is more successful when those fish don't feel they need to kill their buddies to ensure they have enough food. Feeding more often can help with aggression among anthias, for example.

I still buy 25-50% more clean up crew than I think I need and let them sort it out so… :thinking-face:

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it's super subjective, I have a buddy who feeds once a day but feeds A LOT in that one feeding i feed 2-3 times a day but the portions are much smaller, i don't feel like there was ever a consensus on feeding at any point in time in the hobby and there probably never will be. Do what works for you.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still buy 25-50% more clean up crew than I think I need and let them sort it out so… :thinking-face:

I always have many many cleanup crew. Heap's of hermits and snails (nassarius for eating leftover food, and cerithium for algae). Also some bottom dwelling scavenger fish (like small common gobies).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back