Feeding a shy Royal Gramma

yoshiReefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2022
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Location
Annapolis
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduced first 2 fish at same time (the royal gramma and a diamond goby). The gramma disappeared within 2 mins of putting him in and turning away, he has been hiding in the top of a cave rock I have (reason why I couldn't find him at all the first day). As of today I have caught him out of the cave but when I walk by the tank or get close he's darting for the cave again.

I want to feed him as its been 2 days now, should I just try and put some food deeper and in front of the entrance and walk away or try to even get some pellets in the cave itself? 100% going to be watching from the doorway across the room to keep him from getting spooked and not eating. After a few more days of him realizing its only him and a stupid goby who likes to jump will he maybe be less sketched and maybe more open to hanging out outside of the cave even when I pass by or am hanging near the tank?
 
It probably needs a few more days to really adjust to its new home. Keep trying and eventually it should associate you with food and come out and eat more. Grammas are really shy fish at first too.

You may also need a dither fish, blue-green chromis or maybe a fire fish of some sort. Something that swims out in the open but isn't prone to aggression.
 
Mine hides all day and sometimes sneaks out but darts back if I come close.

I broadcast feed my tank and the RG comes out at feeding time. They can smell the food. Just keep to the same feeding schedule, and the fish will learn the schedule and adapt. IMO
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new