Feeding clams and oysters to copperband?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just googled it and says its the roe or coral and its ok for humans to eat

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-174703_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210829-174703_Google.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20210829-174752_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210829-174752_Chrome.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roe or coral part of the scallop is the reproductive organs and packed full of vitamins and nutrients and classed as a super food for humans. ( starting think my fish better fed than i am ) ha ha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210829-174945_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210829-174945_Google.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I threw some frozen muscle into my display. The wrasse went to town and everyone is picking up the floaty parts in the water column, my water is now a mess.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never fed a cooked mussel before so not sure. It doesn't look like it should have anything in it that will make the fish ill or such.

Do you have an Asian grocery store where you live? That is where I get my live clams. I buy a big bag of them and freeze them myself so they last awhile.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never fed a cooked mussel before so not sure. It doesn't look like it should have anything in it that will make the fish ill or such.

Do you have an Asian grocery store where you live? That is where I get my live clams. I buy a big bag of them and freeze them myself so they last awhile.
I forgot this... WHY am i such a derp. My mom would beat me. I used to always get my seafood at the asian store to feed my puffers. I'll have to drop by there later and take a look now.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw some frozen muscle into my display. The wrasse went to town and everyone is picking up the floaty parts in the water column, my water is now a mess.
I did see frozen mussels at fish counter at supermarket but they was literally so tiny like 1 cm big so disregarded plus looked like to be in some kind liquidy stuff

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah got few chinese stores,didnt even think of looking there even though went there other month looking for nori and chinese guy just looked at me saying never heard off it lol ( didnt get any as all had some kind herb or spice in the seaweeds i seen) what i remember off being in there is they didnt have a fresh section but they did have a frozen section.
I live like 5 miles from irish sea but finding it so hard find fresh sea food,think going have google further up the coast to more sea side towns and drive up and get few months worth fresh clams and freeze them.
Thanks for suggestion of chinese supermarket.

Edit:yeah them mussels looked raw to me and still got half a shell so maybe there just steamed as cant imagine them getting cooked in an oven with shell still attached but not a chef so unsure but i will try them tommorrow and see if they eat it and what looks like once thawed etc thanks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did see frozen mussels at fish counter at supermarket but they was literally so tiny like 1 cm big so disregarded plus looked like to be in some kind liquidy stuff
Mine were fresh on ice and alive. I froze them when I got home. If I see an unknown substance. I will pass it by. Good call.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They was in a jar so probably pickled as i know alot especially londoners like pickled eels,mussles,cockles etc
Personally makes me sick just thinking about eating a pickled cockel lol

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to admit, being through many species of fish. I am enjoying the CBB a lot. Very unique in personality.

Also, I don't think I would ever recommend one under 3 inches. It appears there is a diet change with size. Mine is still big pod eater. Highly interested in the other fish eating, but doesn't seem to know what to do. Plenty of food passes her and she stays with the other fish while they are eating. Perhaps a good sign.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, being through many species of fish. I am enjoying the CBB a lot. Very unique in personality.

Also, I don't think I would ever recommend one under 3 inches. It appears there is a diet change with size. Mine is still big pod eater. Highly interested in the other fish eating, but doesn't seem to know what to do. Plenty of food passes her and she stays with the other fish while they are eating. Perhaps a good sign.
Yeah maybe your correct,i have no clue if diet change as mature or not.
I know mine is quite large at 4 inches or maybe even 4.5 inches.just hope it wasn't in someine elses tank for 10 years and broke down tank and gave all fish to lfs and i go and buy it lol
I know it double the size of other copperbamd at lfs but that was at surface with snout up into the power head all time there so gave wide birth.
Online it says can grow upto 20 cm in the wild but usually half that at 10 cm in an aquarium so mine already that size so will have to see if grows or not.i know i can make mine wider like tamberavs beautiful fish which you can tell is very well fed indeed.i did want the smaller one just for this reason as i get paranoid as i know i have given fishes back to lfs free off charge so they can sell again.
Before i got the copperband my favourite fish was a cheap common silver belly fish as it just the brighest yellow i ever seen and can be a very helpful fish if got certain pests as always on the hunt so joint favourite now got copperband. The only other fish i could class as favourite would be the australian version if the harlequinn tusk fish as another gorgeous wrasse with them big blue teeth and colourful bodies but my aquarium not big enough what most recommend and plus some say known to eat cuc members.guy on r2r once told me thats rubbish though, he says keep them well fed and tjey won't touch snails,hermits etc

20210829_190518.jpg 20210829_190504.jpg 20210829_190624.jpg Screenshot_20210829-190803_Google.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
plus some say known to eat cuc members.guy on r2r once told me thats rubbish though, he says keep them well fed and tjey won't touch snails,hermits etc
I agree with them eating the cuc members. Mine will relentlessly pick on my fighting conch. Until he goes into full cover. She will pick at the other snails, but can't seem to get anything off of them. I am sure this will go away once she starts eating prepared foods. Whatever she is after, I have no idea.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great feeding response. How often do you feed?
Hi and hello.
I feed clams 3 -4 times a day.but some days - 1 on feeding clams and feed 1 of the 5 different frozen foods i got.and give algae sheets 2-3 times a week.
Just bought mussels and a king scallop today which copperband and all fish ate and tried oyster once also

Ha ha sorry thought was my video lol.watched after wrote

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine decent size and im thinking not classed as skinny with descriptions online where can see skinny napiers and the like but would like to beef up some more and i always fed my fish decent,not over fed as just makes more work and can cause problems ( only in freshwater apart from this year in salt side) so im confident mine be ok in my care ( i say gingerly ^_^ )

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added more dry rock for pods to reproduce on. She is everywhere. The other fish seemed extremely happy with the added rock. They actually swim around now without staying close to their dens.

I would take more pictures of her. Just so difficult.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been a super helpful thread. My cbb after a week finally started to eat mysis last night. Today she is eating what all the other fish eat. Chopped up shrimp, muscles, crab, squid. Whatever she wants to pick out of the mess. Very slow eater. So, I try to add food for the faster guys and drop food close to her.

Took 9 days for her to accept frozen foods. The live rock helped a lot in keeping food in her belly. I'm pretty happy to have read all the help in this thread :)

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a super helpful thread. My cbb after a week finally started to eat mysis last night. Today she is eating what all the other fish eat. Chopped up shrimp, muscles, crab, squid. Whatever she wants to pick out of the mess. Very slow eater. So, I try to add food for the faster guys and drop food close to her.

Took 9 days for her to accept frozen foods. The live rock helped a lot in keeping food in her belly. I'm pretty happy to have read all the help in this thread :)

Great news eating as you wish by sounds of it and yeah lots helpful info from different people for a very unique intersting fish,i just keeping look out for if mine eats corals ( only got 7 different corals as stocking slowly) zoas-paly,lps's etc but so far so good but i read if cbb well fed it less likely to eat soft/ lps corals and even aiptasia and mine defo well fed lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back