Feeding corals

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always fed some of my corals the mysis as I was feeding my fish but I got a new frozen food it’s best for angels
Is it safe to feed this to corals to
IMG_5419.JPG

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed it as part of my daily frozen mix, but I’ve never fed it directly to corals. I don’t think it would hurt; I’m sure my corals have eaten it from the water column.

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually spray some into my Duncan’s and my nem from time to time

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used before with 0 problems. If you read the package ingredients, I bet mysis and brine shrimp are within the first 3 ingredients anyway, so are the bulk of what is in each cube.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is as good as anything for NPS, 'nems and stuff that can eat it. For corals that like smaller particle sizes, then it probably won't do much good, but there is little evidence that even the really small stuff does anything.

Except for NPS, corals can get all of the energy that they need from the light, so have the best light possible.

ricardh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for NPS, corals can get all of the energy that they need from the light, so have the best light possible.

I don't agree with this sentence, if nature has give polyp mouth to corals it's to be used not only for decoration, and nature always try the easiest or more efficient way to get energy, and this way is by polyp mouth.

Then feed corals with the apropiate food for every type of coral its a good decision.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ocean Nutrition Angel Formula

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spot feed my Hollywood stunner challice, Duncan, Acan, Hammer with brine shrimp sometime. they eat it happily.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LPS and even some softies love mysis shrimp. I spot-feed mysis to my brain coral, bubble coral, torch coral, acans, helmet coral and my hair rhodactis mushrooms.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is as good as anything for NPS, 'nems and stuff that can eat it. For corals that like smaller particle sizes, then it probably won't do much good, but there is little evidence that even the really small stuff does anything.

Can't be further from the truth. Corals like Goniopora require sepcial feedings or very high neutrient water to stay alive. Lighting only will just kill quite a few corals like these without proper neutrients.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals appriciate this stuff because when thawed I notice the mysis is chopped in nice small bits that my scoly and nems love I need to use this stuff more I've been using sheets of mysis and flakes lately

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green gonipora for about a decade back when they were nearly impossible. It never got fed. Although I think that it might have appreciated some food and probably caught some on it's own, it never needed it and grew to the size of a basketball. We did have better and more lighting back then than most people have now. I tend to believe Veron when he said that all non-NPS corals have adapted to not need to catch food... he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Also, you have no way of knowing if what they can digest and get nutrition out of what they are eating. Most corals catch live rotifer sized food in the wild - what you are feeding them is not this. Also, a polyps first job is for gas exchange and increased surface area for zoox, not to catch food, but they do both.

People in the hobby have been condition to believe that they are helping their corals by feeding them all of this coral food and that makes them feel good. If you remove the BS from the people making the coral food and then the parroting and false rhetoric from word of mouth and message board posts, there is absolutely no evidence that you need to feed a PS coral at all. You can if you want if it makes you feel better, but the many people who do not have the same healthy and growth rates.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green gonipora for about a decade back when they were nearly impossible. It never got fed. Although I think that it might have appreciated some food and probably caught some on it's own, it never needed it and grew to the size of a basketball. We did have better and more lighting back then than most people have now. I tend to believe Veron when he said that all non-NPS corals have adapted to not need to catch food... he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Also, you have no way of knowing if what they can digest and get nutrition out of what they are eating. Most corals catch live rotifer sized food in the wild - what you are feeding them is not this. Also, a polyps first job is for gas exchange and increased surface area for zoox, not to catch food, but they do both.

People in the hobby have been condition to believe that they are helping their corals by feeding them all of this coral food and that makes them feel good. If you remove the crap from the people making the coral food and then the parroting and false rhetoric from word of mouth and message board posts, there is absolutely no evidence that you need to feed a PS coral at all. You can if you want if it makes you feel better, but the many people who do not have the same healthy and growth rates.

You either had highly stocked tank with heavy feeding or the goniopora would have died off. Just try goniopora or any of those type corals in a ULN system with what ever lighting you like and post how things work out for you ? :)

Back