Feeding fish (how often )

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day.
Everyday it’s flakes and pellets and I alternate the other days with a fresh clam, shrimp, mysis, black worms and Nori sheets.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
4X a day. Each tank has Apex AFS which drops flake and pellets at 9a - 12p and 3p and then I feed one of 11 frozen meals at 7pm

dmunyon8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feed my fish 2-3 times per day. I Normally change it up each time between PE Mysis, LRS Reef Frenzy, and PE Calanus. Twice a month I’ll normally go to a LFS and buy live Brine Shrimp... my fish love them! I also add Nori to a clip 2 times per week and feed my corals a mixture of Reef Roids and Reef Chili 2 times per week. I was nervous at first about my nutrients but both my NO3 and PO4 are barely detectable by Red Sea Test kits. I have always been under the impression that happy fish need to be fed, a lot! And my corals love the extra food!

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed about 6-8x a day in small increments. My tank is mostly Anampses. I feed dry pellets, masstick, frozen, and live black worms. They're living and growing, so i guess I must be doing something right. Lol

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
165 Gal tank with 12 fish
3 times per day - 2 cubes of Mysis shrimp, LRS Reef Frenzy, and a few Seaweed extreme pellets
+ 1/2 sheet Nori
+ Reef Energy for the corals
+ Phyto for the Pods
+ Something at night for the large Crab that's been banished to the Fuge

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
57g with:
Helfrichi Firefish,
recently added Neon Goby
And Sunburst Anthias

2 Sexy Shrimp
2 Nessarius Snails
3 Hermits

I feed 3 times a day with frozen mysis twice and Rods Fish Food once.
(im tryna get the sunburst chubby*)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally feed three times daily, with each feeding divided into smaller portions. Mornings, everybody gets a cube (from a rotation of SF Bay Saltwater Mix, Calanus, Mysis, Angelfish Formula, Formula One, Formula Two, Capelin Roe, etc...) and a chunk of LRS or Rod's - again, a rotation of five different blends. This gets melted in a cup of RO/DI, and poured into the return chamber of my sump in three or four portions over an hour or so. On days when I can get home at lunchtime (weekdays, working closer to home) a shot of pellets, followed up by a sprinkle of flakes. Evenings, since I'm currently treating a group in QT who've shown some white, stringy poop, they're getting the same food as the morning meal, but with Selcon, API Quick-Cure and Seachem Focus dripped/sprinkled onto it, and without the RO/DI. After it melts, I'll drop in some pellets, mix thoroughly, wait ten minutes or so, and then drop dabs of it into the return sections of DT and QT with a spoon, three or four times over a couple of hours. Some days, I'll thaw out a mussel (QT) or littleneck clam (DT) which I'll hang on a clip in midwater, along with a half sheet of nori. They'll snack on that throughout the day - for as long as it lasts . . .

~Bruce

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes feed every other day mostly frozen it’s 80% water less bioload in my 24 I only have a Pygmy angel and a 10 year old clown and a gold banded shrimp

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixture of marine s and seaweed extreme pellets from hikari fed twice a day. Flakes every night, and frozen food once or twice a week.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT-3x a day, frozen morning and night, frozen +pellets mid-day. QT-4-5x a day when quarantining wrasse, anthers, or chromis.

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano Cube 28g with 5 fish; feed 1x per day with frozen + NLS pellets.

Nutrient export on this tank is only done by once weekly NoPOX dose and 2x weekly filter floss replacement, so have to be careful not to overfeed.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 mixed reef

I use a refrigerator auto feeder to douse reef nutrition foods throughout the day.

3x daily mysis feast
3x daily R.O.E.
2x daily beta brine

I also feed a homemade frozen food (glass fish, mussel, anchovy, salmon, roe, whole prawn, and nori ran through meat grinder then vacuum sealed and frozen) mixed with frozen PE mysis 2x per day.

I also add arctipods and oyster feast every couple of days.

So, that's a total of 10x daily minimum.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally twice to three times a day depending on my schedule. Used to be once but I got a Bartlett's Anthias so I've upped it to 2-3 times. Usually some Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets in the morning and if I work from home, in the afternoon. If I go into the office then I skip the afternoon. In the evening they usually get a cube of frozen Hikari Mysis or Spirulina and Brine. Every other day I drop in a small rock with nori rubberbanded to it for the Blenny, Tang, and Angel. The wrasses have a go as well.

I my Reefer 450 (93G) have:
2x Percula Clownfish
1x Naoko Wrasse
1x Red Head Solon Wrasse
1x Bartlett's Anthias
1x Coral Beauty Angel
1x Tomini Tang
1x Starry Blenny

One cube seems to be the perfect amount. As I am running out of frozen from that single cube, they're slowing down eating what I put in.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up food twice a day, in tank water. Variable combo of different frozen fish foods and coral foods, plus some pellets and small pieces of nori, some refrigerated fish eggs and oyster eggs, and freeze-dried zooplankton. Then I feed some of that mix now and then when I walk by the tank, maybe 6 small feedings each day. This is about the closest I can get to real-world food availability on the reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back