Feeding fish (how often )

playapixie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys how often do you feed your fish? Everyday with frozen food or Every other day with frozen and a mixture of pebbles in between days? Let me know.

I feed fish 3-4 times/day (because I have planctonic eaters,) frozen for one of them and flake or mini pellets for the others. I always feed enough for even the shy fish to have a chance to get out and eat. I spot feed LPS corals 1-2 times/weeks (pellets or frozen), and dose Red Sea coral 2-part 2-3 times a week. All that to say, I feed heavily. It’s only 34 gallons. No, I don’t have a nitrate problem. Yes, I have a solid maintenance routine including skimmer, and filter floss rinsed every 1-2 days.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope no one feeds their fish pebbles lol ; ) I know you meant pellets though.

I feed my fish 4x a day because they need it for optimal health. Lrs fish frenzy, hikari spirulina brine, live blackworms, hikari spirulina brine.

How and what you feed should be determined by the fish you keep, and you should only keep fish you can feed properly. What fish do you have?

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope no one feeds their fish pebbles lol ; ) I know you meant pellets though.

I feed my fish 4x a day because they need it for optimal health. Lrs fish frenzy, hikari spirulina brine, live blackworms, hikari spirulina brine.

How and what you feed should be determined by the fish you keep, and you should only keep fish you can feed properly. What fish do you have?
Fruity pebbles perhaps?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed most of my tanks 3X a day. I have a grow out tank with small angels ( regal, blue lines, emperor) that gets fed about 8X. The nitrates on that tank is up around 50. No surprise

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small amount of pellet from an autofeeder every morning... one of the "Smaller" cubes of frozen every evening. I have 5 small fish in a 50 gallon and everyone is happy.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine 1-2 times per day pellets or LRS, Frozen Brine/Midas shrimp & Nori 2-3 times per wk also. Pellet fed by Auto feeder.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gal mixed, seven fish (two percula clowns, sailfin blenny, yellow coris wrasse, mccosker's wrasse, wheeler's shrimp goby, mandarin), a cleaner shrimp, a couple emerald crabs and a small serpent star, plus small CUC.
Looking at other posts, I'm feeling a little stingy, but I feed once or twice a day. I travel quite a bit. When I'm out of town I feed Hikari Marine S pellets on a Neptune autofeeder (5 rotations on the minimum setting). When I'm home I feed Reef Chili in the morning, and a half cube of mysis or brine shrimp with Selcon, or an equivalent amount of LRS Reef Frenzy. I also try to keep my pod population up for the mandarin and wrasses.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overstating the obvious perhaps, but observing your fish for a heathy body weight seems like a good indication of adequate feeding. If you have tangs, and you can see ribs or the spine, they are underfed. If you see any pinching behind the head then they are starving (and probably a gonner).

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank consumes a huge amount of food. 12-15 cube equivalents per day, spread over 3-4 feedings. Nori, pellets and varied frozen. Over 100 fish in a 450. You just have to have sufficient nutrient export mechanisms. Ammonia is not the problem.
Can you post a picture of tank? Please sounds lovely!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the monster tank forum; my build thread is Simon's 450 - lots of pictures and videos.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people who feed every other day or every 2 or 3 days do you feed multiple times that day or just once? If the latter don't you think you're starving the fish a bit?

I feed 2x a day everyday with dry in early afternoon and frozen/dry at night.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3-4X a day. At lunch time they get a sprinkling of pellets. midafternoon I thaw out about 4 cubes worth of what I have: mysis, spirulina brine, blood worms, fish eggs, and always a chunk of LRS. I feed this thawed mix for 3 feedings or so spaced a couple hours apart.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple times a day for us. Reef nutrition refrigerated foods morning, afternoon and night. TDO chroma boost pellets daily and LRS reef frenzy at night. Seaweed clip offered daily.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm amazed by how many times per day some of you feed! I'm typically feeding once per day - something different every day. If I put in Nori for the Hippo and Rabbit and then other food later in the day they really don't get excited about the 2nd feeding. I feel like if I fed a 3rd time it would just blow around until the return pump came back on and dumped it all in the filter socks.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only thaw out food once, but feed it over a series of hours.

Really, If I fed only one time a day, it would be way too much food in the water at one time. I have some piggy tilefish who can even push the wrasses around at dinner time.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day in the evening 8 cubes of assorted frozen Hikari. Occasionally once a week or so i will give them Hikari marine a and seaweed extreme pellets. My fish are all healthy and chunky.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back