Feeding fish.

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've heard mixed reviews and I want to have your guy's opinion about how often you should feed your fish. I have a BioCube 32 and currently only have 3 fish. My clean up crew is 20 strong.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never found anything definitive, but the rule that I like best says that you feed what your fish/inverts will eat in a few minutes, once a day (or more if you have fish that need a lot of food, like anthias).

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never found anything definitive, but the rule that I like best says that you feed what your fish/inverts will eat in a few minutes, once a day (or more if you have fish that need a lot of food, like anthias).
I have green faced clown goby and 2 damsels. Plus my clean up crew. My current feed schedule is morning and night and I give them 10 mins. They eat everything. Anyone think that to much?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef dwelling fish eat frequent, small meals throughout the day. In most cases their stomachs are approximately the size of their eyes, so feeding for more than 15-30 seconds is really giving them more than their digestive tracts can handle at one time. The excess, even if they are eating most of it, will contribute to higher nitrates and phosphates.

Jay1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed once in the afternoon before leaving for work on my lunch break. And then once at around 7-8 at night. I had a pretty heavy load in my 135. I am setting up a RSR 170 and plan on sticking to 1 a day, in the evening.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta be a little more careful in a Nano tank like yours without a good protein skimmer. Normally, I'd recommend a small amount twice a day, but in your case I'd go a small amount once a day. A small amount for the fish you have would be less than half a frozen cube of mysis or brine, like a 1/4 cube which comes out to a couple pieces of shrimp per fish. Good practice is to turn off the circulation pumps so food doesn't get blown under or behind rocks.
You can boost the food by soaking it in Selcon and Vita-Chem for 10 mins before feeding.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We feed every other day. We also find chaeto in the fuge and regular water changes effective.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2-3 x a day. I do have a green mandarin which needs the 2-3 x a day. Also Carberryi Anthias that requires it as well. I have a flame angel that is a pig. A blue spotted Jawfish that is awake 24/7. So I throw him a bone every once in awhile in early AM. 4 spotted wrasse & Grammica Lined Dartfish that is a hardy eater.
It really depends on how well your tank can process. A plate of Marine Pure and 68lbs of live rock in a 65g tank w/ a protein skimmer leaves me at 1ppm nitrates after 4 weeks.
It really comes down to setting yourself up for failure. There is a balancing act on the in between. Then there is what I call success with having a tank that can handle anything you throw at it. So don't overstock if you are going to overfeed. Get a small clean up crew to start and work that up if needed. You could have a ton of crabs, but they end up not being a clean up crew and rely on feeding times. I have one hermit and like 8 snails. That's my tank balance.

OP
OP
Darkartist

Darkartist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2-3 x a day. I do have a green mandarin which needs the 2-3 x a day. Also Carberryi Anthias that requires it as well. I have a flame angel that is a pig. A blue spotted Jawfish that is awake 24/7. So I throw him a bone every once in awhile in early AM. 4 spotted wrasse & Grammica Lined Dartfish that is a hardy eater.
It really depends on how well your tank can process. A plate of Marine Pure and 68lbs of live rock in a 65g tank w/ a protein skimmer leaves me at 1ppm nitrates after 4 weeks.
It really comes down to setting yourself up for failure. There is a balancing act on the in between. Then there is what I call success with having a tank that can handle anything you throw at it. So don't overstock if you are going to overfeed. Get a small clean up crew to start and work that up if needed. You could have a ton of crabs, but they end up not being a clean up crew and rely on feeding times. I have one hermit and like 8 snails. That's my tank balance.
Ok thanks. My cleanup crew is 20 strong. They do an amazing job except for the glass. They need to step that up, lol. Amazing your getting away with 9 unless you have a small tank.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. My cleanup crew is 20 strong. They do an amazing job except for the glass. They need to step that up, lol. Amazing your getting away with 9 unless you have a small tank.
I could get away with even less. It's all about setting yourself up for success. 2 trochus snails and a fighting conch is all I need. Filtration does the rest.
I have a 65g

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the conches do very well. I'm actually thinking about adding one.
If you have room for them on your sand bed. I have a tall center island. So he just cruises around in circles. They are good for a little turn over on the sand bed as well. They will sometimes bury themselves in it or just from them dragging their lunky shell. Also good for diatoms.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%

Back