Feeding HARLEQUIN shrimp HELP

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of harlequin shrimp which did a great job of eliminating a ton of asterina stars. I am looking for a way to feed them as I do not think they eat anything but stars. I would hate to lose them.

I tried a leg of a chocolate chip star but the rest of it died. Can you buy asterina stars?
thanks

Harlequin Shrimp - Asterina Starfish Eating.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linkia stars are what they love. Get a bunch and cut the legs off some and place in a refugium and add as they grow out and are needed. You need to become a propagator of Linkia stars to keep the Harlequins alive and they are voracious eaters.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Linkia stars are what they love. Get a bunch and cut the legs off some and place in a refugium and add as they grow out and are needed. You need to become a propagator of Linkia stars to keep the Harlequins alive and they are voracious eaters.

I've done this with chocolate chip starfish. Most seems to be "okay" with this, but every once in a while, one will start dieing and that seems to start a chain reaction, killing the others. You'll need to give them around 6 weeks to regrow their legs, so you'll likely need to buy around 10-12 of these to try and do it "sustainably".

I know people will recommend cutting the legs off and freezing them, but these seems to hold less nutritional value than fresh, as the harlequin shrimps will be searching for food quicker.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this with chocolate chip starfish. Most seems to be "okay" with this, but every once in a while, one will start dieing and that seems to start a chain reaction, killing the others. You'll need to give them around 6 weeks to regrow their legs, so you'll likely need to buy around 10-12 of these to try and do it "sustainably".

I know people will recommend cutting the legs off and freezing them, but these seems to hold less nutritional value than fresh, as the harlequin shrimps will be searching for food quicker.
I have never had a Linkia cause a chain reaction death of other Linkia stars. I never recommend freezing, just propagating. Linkia are relatively speedy growers and are easier for the shrimp to handle. Either route you go, this is a time and effort commitment on your part. Those shrimp are far too cool to not care for them properly.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never had a Linkia cause a chain reaction death of other Linkia stars. I never recommend freezing, just propagating. Linkia are relatively speedy growers and are easier for the shrimp to handle.

Good to know! We will keep that in mind when we get a pair.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just but 1 chocolate star fish every 2 weeks and put it in the tank. Usually take a week for my harlequin to eat it the whole thing. Then he’s good for a week.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just but 1 chocolate star fish every 2 weeks and put it in the tank. Usually take a week for my harlequin to eat it the whole thing. Then he’s good for a week.

I had a pair in my old tank for over 2.5 years and I did the exact same thing. They always took the star back into their hiding spot and they’d come out a few days later once it was gone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back