Feeding HARLEQUIN shrimp HELP

Dr RBG

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
171
Location
New England
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of harlequin shrimp which did a great job of eliminating a ton of asterina stars. I am looking for a way to feed them as I do not think they eat anything but stars. I would hate to lose them.

I tried a leg of a chocolate chip star but the rest of it died. Can you buy asterina stars?
thanks

Harlequin Shrimp - Asterina Starfish Eating.jpg
 
Linkia stars are what they love. Get a bunch and cut the legs off some and place in a refugium and add as they grow out and are needed. You need to become a propagator of Linkia stars to keep the Harlequins alive and they are voracious eaters.
 
Linkia stars are what they love. Get a bunch and cut the legs off some and place in a refugium and add as they grow out and are needed. You need to become a propagator of Linkia stars to keep the Harlequins alive and they are voracious eaters.

I've done this with chocolate chip starfish. Most seems to be "okay" with this, but every once in a while, one will start dieing and that seems to start a chain reaction, killing the others. You'll need to give them around 6 weeks to regrow their legs, so you'll likely need to buy around 10-12 of these to try and do it "sustainably".

I know people will recommend cutting the legs off and freezing them, but these seems to hold less nutritional value than fresh, as the harlequin shrimps will be searching for food quicker.
 
I've done this with chocolate chip starfish. Most seems to be "okay" with this, but every once in a while, one will start dieing and that seems to start a chain reaction, killing the others. You'll need to give them around 6 weeks to regrow their legs, so you'll likely need to buy around 10-12 of these to try and do it "sustainably".

I know people will recommend cutting the legs off and freezing them, but these seems to hold less nutritional value than fresh, as the harlequin shrimps will be searching for food quicker.
I have never had a Linkia cause a chain reaction death of other Linkia stars. I never recommend freezing, just propagating. Linkia are relatively speedy growers and are easier for the shrimp to handle. Either route you go, this is a time and effort commitment on your part. Those shrimp are far too cool to not care for them properly.
 
I have never had a Linkia cause a chain reaction death of other Linkia stars. I never recommend freezing, just propagating. Linkia are relatively speedy growers and are easier for the shrimp to handle.

Good to know! We will keep that in mind when we get a pair.
 
I just but 1 chocolate star fish every 2 weeks and put it in the tank. Usually take a week for my harlequin to eat it the whole thing. Then he’s good for a week.
 
I just but 1 chocolate star fish every 2 weeks and put it in the tank. Usually take a week for my harlequin to eat it the whole thing. Then he’s good for a week.

I had a pair in my old tank for over 2.5 years and I did the exact same thing. They always took the star back into their hiding spot and they’d come out a few days later once it was gone.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new