Feeding mushrooms

Salt in Texas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is involved in feeding mushrooms? Do I need something special to feed them? What is the process? Thanks for the input!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert but I "think" there is no need to target fed. I think they use the light mostly & bits That fall onto them.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done both target feeding and not. I quit target feeding after a while as i see them grabbing food when it gets to them and doing just fine when it doesnt.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed all my mushrooms. I use a homemade mixture of reef nutrition products. R.O.E., Arctic-pods, Rotifeast, OysterFeast, and mixtures of various phytoplankton. I know they most likely don't consume all of these products, however they get the exposure and seem to respond extremely well. I mix it all together (various amounts of each....if you want more details I can provide them), with some saltwater and then pipette it slowly onto each individual. I make sure I turn off all the flow in the system when I do this. Once I am done giving each shroom their pipette I wait 30-60 minutes before turning the flow back on. After I turn the flow back on whatever portion of the mixture was left over (generally 100ml) I pour into the tank and allow the rest of the corals to feed on it as it floats around the tank. I also use this feed for some of my LPS (Acans, brains, favias, fungia, etc.).

Hope this helps you out a little bit!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms will quite happily live without being target fed. But it doesn't hurt to occasionally feed them. I give mine a few of @Reef Nutrition TDO small soaked in Oyster Feast and Red Sea's Reef Energy once every other week or so.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't feed mine and I have Many. They dwell of suspended food and fish poop in tank. I have occasionally target feed them with a slim baster like a turkey baster and reef roids or similar powdered foods and their cores.

OP
OP
Salt in Texas

Salt in Texas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for the great input.

The mushrooms seam to be fully open one day and shriveled up the next. I was wondering if they needed to be feed.

Thanks

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I will occasionally “squirt” some reef roids my mushrooms way when I target feed other corals. Mostly I concentrate spot feeding on other corals that really benefit from it where like several other people have already stated mushrooms seem to do just fine without any target feeding. Probably comes down to personal preference but at least I haven’t noticed any significant benefits over spot feeding vs relying on broadcast feeding.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms will quite happily live without being target fed. But it doesn't hurt to occasionally feed them. I give mine a few of @Reef Nutrition TDO small soaked in Oyster Feast and Red Sea's Reef Energy once every other week or so.

Speaking of mushroom corals eating TDO Chroma BOOST...

-Chad

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow, thanks for the great input.

The mushrooms seam to be fully open one day and shriveled up the next. I was wondering if they needed to be feed.

Thanks
Never hurts. every 3 days is sufficient

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back