Feeding NPS gorgonian

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a coral show last month, and on a whim I got an orange gorgonian. After sitting on the bottom of my frag tank for a few weeks, I moved it into my display. Here's a pic:

IMG_5205.jpeg

It's in pretty high flow next to a gyre powerhead. I dose 420ml of live phyto into my system (350 gallons) every night. I'm hoping that's enough to keep it fed, is it?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup! I have 2 very healthy photosynthetic gorgonians. Feeding nps is an ongoing experiment. If the white polyps on this gorg are extended and visibly accepting food and it continues to thrive then you’ve nailed it. Spot feed, keep a log. Etc. good luck.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some thriving photosynthetic gorgs as well. But you can't beat the color on the NPS ones. What I'm hoping to avoid is having to spot feed it, which would be a hassle. And I travel a lot and am hoping not to put that burden on my fishsitter.

Can anyone with experience with this type of gorg chime in about feeding? Would broadcast feeding phyto, combined with what's naturally in the water be enough to keep it alive? I do have some tubeworms that are over a year old, so they seem to do ok with what I'm doing now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what species of gorgonian you're working with?

If not, the thread below may give you some helpful info to help you make an educated guess on the feeding:

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feed live phyto ~800ml a day for my 600gal daily.

I also feed 400ml of PNS bacteria or PNS sno daily.

Benereef 2-3x a week

If you can, supplement BBS or Artemia nauplii. Very good source of food

I have the same red gorg alive and growing a little. Sponge, dendro, suncoral and other NPS all doing fine. Never target fed. Try to feed a variety blend of live phyto. Different sizes

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000006775.jpg

I am trying to get the polyps to extend, any suggestions?
I dose 120ml of phyto every night. 20ml AB+ once week. Benepets REEF pellets a few times a week.
I am ok with target feeding but I have not seen the polyps extend during the day or night. It is shaded and has a small powerhead flowing over it.

Ideas?

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine still seems healthy after about 2 months, although I've never seen the polyps extend either. Maybe they extend at night.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small blueberry fan in my softie tank. Since I’m not that worried about nutrient levels, and I do a 50% water change monthly, I feed the crap out of the tank. I mix some of the reeffrenzy coral food in with the fish food and feed the tank 3 times per day and once after the lights go out. I think as long as the polyps continue to extend you are ok. I’ve only had the blueberry for a few weeks, so jury still out.

If the polyps are only extending at night then you will have to fed at night.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small blueberry fan in my softie tank. Since I’m not that worried about nutrient levels, and I do a 50% water change monthly, I feed the crap out of the tank. I mix some of the reeffrenzy coral food in with the fish food and feed the tank 3 times per day and once after the lights go out. I think as long as the polyps continue to extend you are ok. I’ve only had the blueberry for a few weeks, so jury still out.

If the polyps are only extending at night then you will have to fed at night.
so far the polyps are not extending

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said reef frenzy above ….. it’s actually Rods

IMG_4227.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back