Feeding palys

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to attach a video of me feeding some new palys I just got. Barely 48hours in my tank, but they are eating like pigs. No idea what the name of these are and the reef store is also clueless. They are about the size of gobstoppers though and likely a magician morph. If you've seen them before chime in.

My technique is to soak a cube of frozen brine shrimp in tank water. I then use a long stick with airline tubing attached, suck up some of the brine shrimp and gently blow it into the mouths of the palys. Pumps off of course. They close up fast, and after a few minutes are as tight as tulip bulbs to absorb the protein.

After about half an hour they are fully open. Ive found most palys benefit from one, maybe two feedings a week in terms of faster growth, but beyond that they dont grow faster.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely some salted agave morph. I always thought those were zoas. Are they confirmed to be palys?

OP
OP
B

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People Eaters by pure classification are actually zoas as I recall, but there's a lot of fuzzy territory here. As a vernacular in reefing I tend to follow the crowd :)

Sorry for the color.....can't find my yellow filter. When they start spreading I will take a better shot. When I googled salted agave I saw some variants that were almost dead on, so thanks zoa prince. Makes me feel better.

The last zoas / palys I got that were unknown and rare were the fukishima greens; Nuclear greens that grow and looked like they were fed plutonium. Like their name sake when they hit a large enough colony size and critical mass everything else in the tank stopped growing.

If they eat, they grow fast.

Attachments

• paly.jpg
    paly.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 24

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some Beauty and the Beast Palys that will take LPS pellets. Once I discovered this they have gotten so bright and produced so many babies. I just use the long tweezer method.

OP
OP
B

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had luck with pellets, but maybe I haven't tried the right ones.

Since I have a lot of mouths to feed the airline tube method works good because I can draw in a lot of brine shrimp and feed a few dozen at a time.

OP
OP
B

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely some salted agave morph. I always thought those were zoas. Are they confirmed to be palys?
Hey Zoaprince....WWC has them and wants $200 a head.

Gonna feed these boys raw steak and sing to them under soft lighting if I can get half that a polyp. Lol

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never have fed my zoas or palys and still got nice growth and color. Just dosed with aminos

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Zoaprince....WWC has them and wants $200 a head.

Gonna feed these boys raw steak and sing to them under soft lighting if I can get half that a polyp. Lol
most online vendors overcharge
Check the livestock boards here to see what individuals are selling them for

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back