Greenstar polyps
Hammer
Duncan’s
Toadstool
Devils hand
Red cap
Bubble tip nem
Seabea nem

How often should I dose and would brodcast feeding be fine.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sort of broadcast feed everyday. I make my own fish food and 3 scoops of reef roids goes into the food mix before I freeze it. That batch usually lasts a week.

I found doing this, I don’t forget to add the reef roids lol.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very careful feeding reef roids because it raises PO4 significantly in my reef. I spot feed select LPS then broadcast the rest. I also use less than the recommended amounts.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed all my LPS a day before water change. Been my schedule for about a year now with no problems. All corals are growing. I make it pasty so i wouldn't drift too much. A drop or two per LPS and broadcast residual on the SPS.

U

User1

View Badges
Coral Heaven from IPSF and Reef Roids when used by me at least twice a week. I will direct feed RBTA's and my Elegance. Rest is just a quick pass with anything that I know will take it readily. You can see things just grab and close up. Rest will just release in water column. Turn off skimmer for a couple hours is best.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast feeding = increased nitrates = unwanted algae = corals getting choked out

Just feed da fish
Just sayin

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I'd go easy with the reef roids, AKA algae in a jar. It seems to be good stuff though.

I used to do a light broadcast once a week or so, also tried a local feeding with the pumps off. I'm not sure it mattered much the broadcasting is a lot easier.

Going forward I'm not sure how I want to use it if at all. One option is to feed the day before a water change, might help a little. Another thing I will try is to use a very tiny amount, like the little red spoon that comes in Salifert test kits. I was doing a small pinch with my fingers but IMO even that is too much.
Figure it's going to circulate around the tank quite a bit before it gets removed. It fills the tank almost instantly if you broadcast in front of a power head, so it's really not any less effective then feeding the larger amount.

I'm scared to add it to my new tank lol!

U

User1

View Badges
Broadcast feeding = increased nitrates = unwanted algae = corals getting choked out

Just feed da fish
Just sayin

That is true with any food we put into the tank though. Then again that is why I have a Scopus and Lavender tang.

The key to adding these types of food is understanding your aquariums maturity and feeding the right amount. This is the case whereas you cut back half if not more of what they initial feeding suggestion is because a little goes a long way.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true with any food we put into the tank though. Then again that is why I have a Scopus and Lavender tang.

The key to adding these types of food is understanding your aquariums maturity and feeding the right amount. This is the case whereas you cut back half if not more of what they initial feeding suggestion is because a little goes a long way.
Or in my case, it keeps me from having to dose as much NO3 and PO4 lol.

But I agree, any thing concentrated like Reef Roids does need to be done in moderation and levels do need to be watched.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't coral feedings based on the false notion "more food will grow bigger and brighter corals "????

It's been my experience that unless a coral is a "direct feed" type of coral.... adding coral food really doesn't pan out beneficially and actually works against you.

In 15yrs I've put myself thru many methodologies. I keep coming back to 1) only food to be added is for feeding the fish, 2) good clean water thru managing exports and doing small water changes, 3) great source of light but at an intensity to match the corals natural lighting needs

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Isn't coral feedings based on the false notion "more food will grow bigger and brighter corals "????

It's been my experience that unless a coral is a "direct feed" type of coral.... adding coral food really doesn't pan out beneficially and actually works against you.

In 15yrs I've put myself thru many methodologies. I keep coming back to 1) only food to be added is for feeding the fish, 2) good clean water thru managing exports and doing small water changes, 3) great source of light but at an intensity to match the corals natural lighting needs

Depends on the coral in my opinion..

I think feeding corals is even more important in lower nutrient system and helps prevent the loss of color. People are dumping nitrates and phosphates in the tank to help curb low nutrients but I feel if you feed the corals they can get these nutrients from the food..
This is more beneficial than all these phosphates people put in their water and binding to the substrate. With so many now having the issues with low nutrients people will start feeding more.

Also If you have a algae issue you would be better just feeding the fish or spot feeding the corals. So I think you are right there. Alage is becoming less of a issue that it used to be and low nutrients have also become a issue. There just are better methods of exporting nutrient now a days.

Like my gonis I always spot feed but in a smaller tank with allot of corals with smaller polyps I will broadcast reefroids.

LPS wont benefit from reefroids in my opinion and looking at his list it is probably not even be beneficial.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back