Feeding smelts and phosphates

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lovefish77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Lovefish77

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
961
Reaction score
330
Location
Bloomfield, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, for the nem heads out there, I have a lot of black widows in my three tanks.
I have always been feeding a LOT of seafood (like shrimps, squid) with no significant impact to phosphates.
Last 2 weeks I started feeding smelts and my phosphates went through the roof. I try to keep my phosphates under 0.1ppm.
My 75 gallon tank just tested 0.24ppm. My other nano has seen phosphates rise from 0.04ppm to 0.2ppm in like 10 days (I only fed smelts 2-3 times to that tank)!

My question is , have you guys had problems with phosphates when feeding smelts?

Thanks a lot
 
I have never fed smelts. I would suspect they have preservatives high in phos.
 
I have never fed smelts. I would suspect they have preservatives high in phos.
I soaked in rodi but I guess that didnt work. The nems seem to love it and have very chunky tentacles afterwards
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new