Feeding strategies for fish (What? When? How?)

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up frozen mysis shrimp yesterday from my LFS. I thawed an entire cube in a 1/4 cup of tank water and then fed it using a pipette from my API test kit.

The clownfish gobbled it up and even started eating right out of the syringe (it was cute).

Even the bicolor blenny went crazy for it. Which was interesting because I thought they were vegetarians. I was planning I getting some nori for it.

Sadly, the yellow clown goby still doesn’t seem interested. I’ve only had him 5 days so he may still be nervous. But I’m concerned there’s something wrong with him. I’ll keep trying.
Your Goby may still be getting used to the tank. He may still be grabbing food when he can, just to keep fed. My goby took a week to get used to my tank. He still only comes out to grab some food that hits the sand, so i always feed just a little extra for it to make it to the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
Brakaan

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Goby may still be getting used to the tank. He may still be grabbing food when he can, just to keep fed. My goby took a week to get used to my tank. He still only comes out to grab some food that hits the sand, so i always feed just a little extra for it to make it to the bottom of the tank.

He seems to be coming out of his shell - or rock hole - a bit more now. At feeding time he swims out into the open and tries to get some food. He’s still easily bullied by the clown fish, but I’ve seen him get sneak a few shrimp when he had the chance.

OP
OP
Brakaan

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s Toby the Goby literally perched on a turbo snail.

703E959F-E722-4B82-A6BB-4A79157474C5.jpeg

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the hobby and I’m struggling to make sense of one of the most important aspects: feeding!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who could benefit from a discussion on this so please reply with your feeding strategies, specifically answering these questions:
  • What food do you feed?
  • How do you feed it? (Drop in top of tank? Clip feeder? Turkey baster?)
  • Where do you get it? (links from online sellers is a plus!).
I started with two clownfish and the guy at the LFS recommended New Life Spectrum Marine Formula pellets ()

The fish love them, but then I added a bicolor blenny and a clown goby. And I can’t get food to them because the clowns gobble up everything!

I believe the blenny is a vegetarian, so he’s grazing on algae and I’ll eventually feed nori on a clip.

But what about the clown goby? I’ve heard mysis shrimp, but how do I get it to him without the clownfish stealing it all? I’ve considered a feeding cube, but what do I put it in?

My tank is a 16g biocube but I don’t want to limit the discussion to just my tank.

I’m interested in WHAT you guys feed and HOW you feed it and WHERE can I get it?

Thank you!

I use extended turkey baster to target feed the top feeders 3 Clowns & a Damsel, on one side of the tank. Quickly move to the opposite side where 2 Firefish Gobies hang along the bottom. Everyone get their share of a mix of thawed brine, flakes or dried mysis.

Being retired has its advantages

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be coming out of his shell - or rock hole - a bit more now. At feeding time he swims out into the open and tries to get some food. He’s still easily bullied by the clown fish, but I’ve seen him get sneak a few shrimp when he had the chance.
Using an extended turkey baster, I feed my 2 gobies, who love to swim against the current of a Hygger wavemaker placed at the bottom front. Food also gets passed around the 55 high using 2 Sicca pumps on the back corners. Seldom does not everything not get eaten

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back