Feeding Techniques/Guidance in a new Tank

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone

My new tank is just about ready and my first four fish will be finishing quarantine in about two weeks. While in quarantine, they have been eating a combination of frozen Marine Quisine, Omega One flakes and Nori for the two tangs. They all eat like little pigs, so seem to be okay with what I’m giving them.

when I start stocking my new tank, I want to look for a great diet for them. It’s been a while since I had a big tank and I’m not familiar with the newer available foods/diets and techniques for feeding that everyone are using now. Looking for guidance on what would be a good mix of foods for the tank. It’s a 220.6 WaterBox (165 gal). I hope to have around 10-12 fish (4 Tangs) and it will be a predominant SPS tank. I have been a stingy feeder in the past, but hear a lot about high nutrients in - high nutrients out, and I’m needing a little guidance on what kind of foods and feeding techniques that everyone finds are the best way to go. I currently do not plan on an auto feeder, that could change in the future. I’ve also watched a few videos about making my own fish food cuisine, but I’m not smart enough yet to put the fish and corals through that.

What are some of the best foods now and what feeding techniques (quantity, times per day and types of food) that will get me fat happy fish and corals without trashing the tank?

Jetson

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning everyone

My new tank is just about ready and my first four fish will be finishing quarantine in about two weeks. While in quarantine, they have been eating a combination of frozen Marine Quisine, Omega One flakes and Nori for the two tangs. They all eat like little pigs, so seem to be okay with what I’m giving them.

when I start stocking my new tank, I want to look for a great diet for them. It’s been a while since I had a big tank and I’m not familiar with the newer available foods/diets and techniques for feeding that everyone are using now. Looking for guidance on what would be a good mix of foods for the tank. It’s a 220.6 WaterBox (165 gal). I hope to have around 10-12 fish (4 Tangs) and it will be a predominant SPS tank. I have been a stingy feeder in the past, but hear a lot about high nutrients in - high nutrients out, and I’m needing a little guidance on what kind of foods and feeding techniques that everyone finds are the best way to go. I currently do not plan on an auto feeder, that could change in the future. I’ve also watched a few videos about making my own fish food cuisine, but I’m not smart enough yet to put the fish and corals through that.

What are some of the best foods now and what feeding techniques (quantity, times per day and types of food) that will get me fat happy fish and corals without trashing the tank?

Jetson
Some good universal foods are:
LRS fish frenzy
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Small plankton

I add a small portion to a condiment size solo cup and spoon feed a little at a time
Easier to add food than to remove it
Any leftover goes in the fridge

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mix them all together And then feed? I like the idea of small portions. What I have done in the past is, if they can’t make it all disappear in a minute, it was too much. That being said, I want to experiment with multiple feedings a day as long as they can keep cleaning it up quickly and then maybe throw something in after dark that is more coral specific.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back