Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would of clicked a thumbs down button if there was one
Hahah

What I meant is if a coral is not colored up and is brown or green or just an odd solid color then the true color often only comes once it’s growing and is shown in the new growth. A piece that’s been stressed can change through a few shades of colors before it grows and shows its actual color in the new growth.

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I complained , this is what I see in other people’s tanks , wall to wall sps in a year is beyond do able I’ve seen it way to many times to call that luck thanks everyone for unlocking that

For clarification, can you summarize the changes that were made. I am having a similar issue and am experiencing slow growth as well. As you mentioned I have seen many tanks with wall to wall SPS in a year. Very fast growth and here I am putting along with slow growth and STN here and there.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For clarification, can you summarize the changes that were made. I am having a similar issue and am experiencing slow growth as well. As you mentioned I have seen many tanks with wall to wall SPS in a year. Very fast growth and here I am putting along with slow growth and STN here and there.
read post 443, same question.
Posts 444 and post 445 have the answer.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow beautiful tank! They seem pretty crowded. Do they possibly give off some sort of hormone to tell the other corals that they are encroaching on their territory therefore causing a stunt in growth?

Some of my best colored corals have not grown much in 4+ years, the common theme among the non growers are either a small base with little room to encrust or being too close to other SPS.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my best colored corals have not grown much in 4+ years, the common theme among the non growers are either a small base with little room to encrust or being too close to other SPS.
I use to think that , not buying it anymore because mine are all taking off , check other things on your system

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to think that , not buying it anymore because mine are all taking off , check other things on your system

Just think, a few weeks ago you were crying about leaving the hobby and now you're an experienced master! Keep on rocking dude! You got this!

Now that growth is taking off, your next stage will be to figure out how to cut them to manipulate their growth pattern so they don't grow on top and into each other. I'm finding that's harder than making them grow if you're OCD as I am about that stuff.

Last edited:

ap7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you detail/breakdown your full lighting schedule as it is now? Int% / color% on the ramps (and how long?), T5s schedule, etc.

I know you mentioned in the first page you had 12 hours AB+ 100% int with 1 hr ramp up/2 hr ramp down (all blues) with 9 hr T5s. Guess you reduced that Radion AB+ to 6 hrs... T5 schedule change? Ramps (and total photoperiod length) changes, blah blah haha..

Just curious on the details - especially with that amazing growth spurt! Great to see

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just think, a few weeks ago you were crying about leaving the hobby and now you're an experienced master! Keep on rocking dude! You got this!

Now that growth is taking off, your next stage will be to figure out how to cut them to manipulate their growth pattern so they don't grow on top and into each other. I'm finding that's harder than making them grow if you're OCD as I am about that stuff.
money isn’t a issue to me this whole scape was designed to grow and fuse together like a real reef if things die because they touch I’m not going to be sad , once I get the look I want I’ll break it down start a new build and cut apart whatever frags I have , I hope you don’t think I put them this close together because I just felt like it , it’s all for a look I want not worried about the price of the deaths , it’s a boomie meant to grow together at whatever price it takes

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you detail/breakdown your full lighting schedule as it is now? Int% / color% on the ramps (and how long?), T5s schedule, etc.

I know you mentioned in the first page you had 12 hours AB+ 100% int with 1 hr ramp up/2 hr ramp down (all blues) with 9 hr T5s. Guess you reduced that Radion AB+ to 6 hrs... T5 schedule change? Ramps (and total photoperiod length) changes, blah blah haha..

Just curious on the details - especially with that amazing growth spurt! Great to see
Sure I well tell you guys exact stuff absolutely so here’s the lighting
Ati blue plus 10 hours 4 bulbs
Radions 3 xr 15 gen 4 pro turn on at 7 am all blues till 9 then ab+ till 5 pm then blues till 7pm radions at 100 percent intensity all day
During AB+ 60 percent cloud cover , happens a lot and is aggressive
2 blue 470 nm eBay bars on 12 hours 7 to 7

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
money isn’t a issue to me this whole scape was designed to grow and fuse together like a real reef if things die because they touch I’m not going to be sad , once I get the look I want I’ll break it down start a new build and cut apart whatever frags I have , I hope you don’t think I put them this close together because I just felt like it , it’s all for a look I want not worried about the price of the deaths , it’s a boomie meant to grow together at whatever price it takes

Why the combative responses? I gave a friendly suggestion based on my experiences and you seemed irked by it. Just giving some suggestions as someone who has a large tank with "wall to wall" SPS as you so desired. Maybe there is a language barrier and if so I completely apologize!

Btw, of course I didn't think you "crammed them in" I just assumed based on your initial concern of "why can't I have a cool SPS tank like others" struck me as someone who may be only a few years into the hobby and assumed this is your first tank both by size and your questions. I think it's a given that anyone in this hobby knows money is no object, I think my reef hobby dwarfs even my automobile budget and there are two Teslas sitting in the garage. We don't get into this hobby to save money. :)

Even as good as I think my tank is I know there are SOOOOOO many people that crush me in terms of knowledge and experience. Every time I post a question I get many, many suggestions. Rather then write them off and tell them they are stupid I am a realist and know every experience is different in this hobby and try to absorb every bit of advice I can even if a lot of it is bad; no need for me to tell them as it just makes me look bad.

btw, I would think you could skip the cloud cover and lower your intensity to 60% gradually and experience maybe even better results. About 5 months ago I cut about two 5lb buckets of old SPS out to create room for new as a mini reboot. Since there was no longer any shade some of my frags were getting 700 par from my LED. I went from 85% to 60% on my radions (kept my T5 sched the same) and my orange passion went from about a 5 inch radius to the size of two fists. The T5 really help you with spread and there isn't a huge need to crank up the LED because it just creates too many hot spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the combative responses? I gave a friendly suggestion based on my experiences and you seemed irked by it. Just giving some suggestions as someone who has a large tank with "wall to wall" SPS as you so desired. Maybe there is a language barrier and if so I completely apologize!

Btw, of course I didn't think you "crammed them in" I just assumed based on your initial concern of "why can't I have a cool SPS tank like others" struck me as someone who may be only a few years into the hobby and assumed this is your first tank both by size and your questions. I think it's a given that anyone in this hobby knows money is no object, I think my reef hobby dwarfs even my automobile budget and there are two Teslas sitting in the garage. We don't get into this hobby to save money. :)

Even as good as I think my tank is I know there are SOOOOOO many people that crush me in terms of knowledge and experience. Every time I post a question I get many, many suggestions. Rather then write them off and tell them they are stupid I am a realist and know every experience is different in this hobby and try to absorb every bit of advice I can even if a lot of it is bad; no need for me to tell them as it just makes me look bad.

btw, I would think you could skip the cloud cover and lower your intensity to 60% gradually and experience maybe even better results. About 5 months ago I cut about two 5lb buckets of old SPS out to create room for new as a mini reboot. Since there was no longer any shade some of my frags were getting 700 par from my LED. I went from 85% to 60% on my radions (kept my T5 sched the same) and my orange passion went from about a 5 inch radius to the size of two fists. The T5 really help you with spread and there isn't a huge need to crank up the LED because it just creates too many hot spots.
Makes the tank look too dim I hate it on anything less then 100 percent

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, throw down some cash and put that thing in a wall and raise those lights up to 20 inches. :)

I'm kidding...if cloud cover is working for you then have at it!
Lights will be staying till new build

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference in alk dose from the start of the thread till now? How much have you had to bump you daily dose?

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference in alk dose from the start of the thread till now? How much have you had to bump you daily dose?
That whole tank has like transformed in a way there is so much coraline growing as well as the corals , the monti caps have quadrupled in size yes the acros did take off but the whole tank evolved on those 2 simple changes , I have done nothing more then that listed in post 445 or so

ap7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I well tell you guys exact stuff absolutely so here’s the lighting
Ati blue plus 10 hours 4 bulbs
Radions 3 xr 15 gen 4 pro turn on at 7 am all blues till 9 then ab+ till 5 pm then blues till 7pm radions at 100 percent intensity all day
During AB+ 60 percent cloud cover , happens a lot and is aggressive
2 blue 470 nm eBay bars on 12 hours 7 to 7

Oh did you go back to your regular lighting schedule and just keep cloud cover? Seems like t5s went up an hour (10 now instead of 9) and ab+ on for 8 hrs (9-5)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back