Feeling misled

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you file a claim they will ban you from ordering from them in the future.

On another note. I just down loaded a pic from their site. It is wysiwyg e-11-15-08-1.jpg
Down loaded photo Screenshot_20191121-151111.png
Screen shot from file details Screenshot_20191121-151125.png
Screen shot from extreme corals
Something fishy here
Didn't catch the date until you hinted at it. Thats just wrong.

Every once in a while they post a torch thats bright orange. Ive been waiting to see someone actually post a torch that color thats never ever been seen before. Haven't come across it yet.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the coral you got. Ask them what lights they use and settings and it will look just like the picture. Fool me once shame on them, fool me twice....I research online vendors ratings as much as I do corals.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at a r2r page and they had a bunch of great things to say.... didn't realize that was in 2010, if you scroll down the page a bunch of people are saying g the same..... should have kept reading!!! Stupid ADD
You can file a claim with pay pal or your CC company.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Auto-pilot what lights are you running? Running full blue LED will dramatically change the look of a coral for the better. You lights seem to be not quite as blue?

But looks like this vendor has scammed others so thanks for the headsup. Will not be ordering from them!

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Auto-pilot what lights are you running? Running full blue LED will dramatically change the look of a coral for the better. You lights seem to be not quite as blue?

But looks like this vendor has scammed others so thanks for the headsup. Will not be ordering from them!
I have t5 and led hybrid. When only blues are on it still has no red. I have other corals that are truly red and you can tell with my lights .

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, this can happen in LFS when shop in person too.

One of my LFS light their LPS tank with pure blue light, and all corals looks brilliant. Then once I bought a piece back home, under about 15k light, it looked dumb. The problem was, the fluorescence is triggered by the blue/uv light, and its intensity is not that strong. Also the fluorescent tissue is on the outside. So if the coral tissue is a bit translucent, and there is white light, the color from inside, which is usually dumb, will overpower the fluorescence color. Ever since that, every time I found something I want in the LFS, I tell them to turn the light to like 15k and give it a second look. That saved me some mistakes a couple times.

That's what your picture look like to me. The picture from the shop looks like from pure blue light, with proper gel filter. The photos might not be changed much besides adjust the brightness and saturation up. Try light your tank in only blue light to see how they look.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just speaking on behalf of my own self here, but it's unfortunate to me how common it is for hobbyists to be mislead by coral photos. It does take a bit of a trained eye to spot manipulation of various sorts, but provided you get armed with said knowledge, it's generally not too difficult.

Consider this incident, it is possible that they really didn't photoshop the picture, or otherwise manipulate it with software. HOWEVER, if that's the case, they certainly did some tricks when taking the photo. My best guess? The lighting was done with violet lights, or a "UV" flashlight. There might have been an orange/color filter at play too. You can get some corals to look just like this photo by doing those things, and never needing to mess with saturation or color in some sort of post-processing.
Isn't extreme corals on the dealer's forum on Reef2Reef? With all these complaints about them and repeated misleading sales tactics, I'd think they'd lose the privilege of being a sponsor.
Not a current sponsor. I don't recall if they ever were in the past.
I don't it's removed
Perhaps check Wayback Machine, or another internet archive?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have t5 and led hybrid. When only blues are on it still has no red. I have other corals that are truly red and you can tell with my lights .

What about full power blue and a bit of red, and nothing else? I don't think
I'm just speaking on behalf of my own self here, but it's unfortunate to me how common it is for hobbyists to be mislead by coral photos. It does take a bit of a trained eye to spot manipulation of various sorts, but provided you get armed with said knowledge, it's generally not too difficult.

Consider this incident, it is possible that they really didn't photoshop the picture, or otherwise manipulate it with software. HOWEVER, if that's the case, they certainly did some tricks when taking the photo. My best guess? The lighting was done with violet lights, or a "UV" flashlight. There might have been an orange/color filter at play too. You can get some corals to look just like this photo by doing those things, and never needing to mess with saturation or color in some sort of post-processing.

Not a current sponsor. I don't recall if they ever were in the past.

Perhaps check Wayback Machine, or another internet archive?

I have a thought the other day that, people that doing the most honest and accurate photos are not getting rewarded. I was watching the live show of Tidal Garden. They did an awesome job to demonstrate how the coral look like in various lighting. But to be honest, seeing that didn't make me want to buy them more.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a thought the other day that, people that doing the most honest and accurate photos are not getting rewarded.
Agree! And that's the real shame in the matter. Many hobbyists keep chasing these impossible goals to color their corals they way they think they're supposed to look, but that perception is all on a photo manipulation. Meanwhile, the actually correct photo vendors get less love. It's a negative feedback loop of the worst kind.

It's also why you see the "old salts" refuse to jump on the new/greatest/whatever coral hype train and pay exuberant prices - because they know better. (and many of them have come to know/understand how the inner-circle of key vendors really set the paces)

And I won't even get started on the "name game", but that's a big compound component on top of this whole topic.

Alright, I've said enough, and I'm about to take the topic astray.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree! And that's the real shame in the matter. Many hobbyists keep chasing these impossible goals to color their corals they way they think they're supposed to look, but that perception is all on a photo manipulation. Meanwhile, the actually correct photo vendors get less love. It's a negative feedback loop of the worst kind.

It's also why you see the "old salts" refuse to jump on the new/greatest/whatever coral hype train and pay exuberant prices - because they know better. (and many of them have come to know/understand how the inner-circle of key vendors really set the paces)

And I won't even get started on the "name game", but that's a big compound component on top of this whole topic.

Alright, I've said enough, and I'm about to take the topic astray.
That's why I love my lfs I can view under blue and white.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back