Feeling misled

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I love my lfs I can view under blue and white.

Even LFS is playing the lighting manipulation game. Many lighting the tank with pure blue light. Coral looks completely different once white lights are added, even just a bit. I have to ask them to turn the light whiter every time I want to buy something. It's getting annoying fast.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I talked to Scott about how I felt that the corals were not what I was expecting. He said that I could return them for a full refund if I felt unhappy. I sent the corals back yesterday and I'm waiting for a refund. Scott seemed nice and was fast to communicate. The corals were healthy that he did send me, I'm not sure if I would purchase coral from him in the future because i'm not sure about the colors of his corals.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was banned from the local sites years ago. He was never one that could admit fault and would resort to name calling in a heart beat.

Never understood how every piece he has gotten in the last 10+ years has been a "one of a kind" or "impossible to find" !! o_O

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marketing hyperbole always gives me a good laugh. Super used to be enough, until it wasn't. Then it was ultra. Now it's super ultra because, of course, ultra alone is not enough. Seems to me all the online vendors use the most beneficial lighting and angles they can for the pictures they take. Others may use doctoring techniques as well.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hello Extreme Corals - ban me now, I won't be buying from you now or EVER after reading all the feedback I've gotten from people I TRUST"

MsGrass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was buying a holy grail torch as that’s what his listing said. I was sent something completely different, said he didn’t know nothing about a holy grail torch. I was way overcharged for something I didn’t want. Do not buy from Extreme Corals. You won’t get what you think you’re buying. Owner very rude and doesn’t care.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought from Extreme corals one time a few years ago. That was a mistake. Sorry you have to deal with this now. Doctoring pictures happens often in this hobby, but they seem to be much worse about it.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like some photoshop was used... I’ve photoshopped corals images before for some small companies only to get them to more accurately represent what the coral looks like in real life.
As most of you know the actinic lighting can really become a problem with getting a clear true image. And no matter how good of a camera you have it’s never going to work as well as our eyes... so sometimes companies will photoshop their images to get rid of all the weird effects aquarium lights have.
Sometimes companies go overboard with it though... and sometimes they’re just trying to cheat you. Most times you can tell a coral is OVER photoshopped when...

• The color is extremely bright and colors start to blend.
• Image is a bit blurred, especially where colors meet.
• You must squint to look at the image.
• Loss of definition or depth in the image.
• Blue or purple gradient in the fragment plug (that is not coralline algae, you’d be able to tell the difference.)

MsGrass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was taken too by Extreme Corals. Wish I had come here to check before I bought a way overpriced coral. But you know what? What comes around goes around. No one has to ban me, I’ve banned myself.

Nemo012485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what u guys are saying. I bought this torch for $550 from extreme corals with shipping. I think it very important not to bring out colors with filters that aren't actually in the coral. Bc you shouldn't sell a coral that the saturation is turned up to the extreme. Im really happy with the size I was sent or the torch. And I still love it, but its not what was advertised and was trying to buy a torch that did not already own. Second photo is actual picture in my 150gal under Atlantik v4 compacts.

Screenshot_20200624-082115_Chrome.jpg IMG_20200707_101003_283.jpg

Last edited:

Nemo012485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even LFS is playing the lighting manipulation game. Many lighting the tank with pure blue light. Coral looks completely different once white lights are added, even just a bit. I have to ask them to turn the light whiter every time I want to buy something. It's getting annoying fast.
I agree as a buyer also, but i did run the coral area in a store, algae builds up fast and hard to keep up! Keeping corals under blues, that did well under, them i preferred, but I never had a problem turning them down and showing under whites for customers some stores thats not an option or the staff get annoyed if u bother them lol thats why customer service is so important to me and keeps customers coming back! I'm on both ends of this one

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree as a buyer also, but i did run the coral area in a store, algae builds up fast and hard to keep up! Keeping corals under blues, that did well under, them i preferred, but I never had a problem turning them down and showing under whites for customers some stores thats not an option or the staff get annoyed if u bother them lol thats why customer service is so important to me and keeps customers coming back! I'm on both ends of this one
I like seeing them in both lights. Heavy blue and under a more natural light. I view the tank during the day in a more natural light and from 2200-2300 in full blue.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah. All the store I been to, none have problem turning their light when I ask. Well except when they don't have access to the app that set the light, like it AI Primes that were setup from the app on the owner's phone. ;Facepalm

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like some photoshop was used... I’ve photoshopped corals images before for some small companies only to get them to more accurately represent what the coral looks like in real life.
As most of you know the actinic lighting can really become a problem with getting a clear true image. And no matter how good of a camera you have it’s never going to work as well as our eyes... so sometimes companies will photoshop their images to get rid of all the weird effects aquarium lights have.
Sometimes companies go overboard with it though... and sometimes they’re just trying to cheat you. Most times you can tell a coral is OVER photoshopped when...

• The color is extremely bright and colors start to blend.
• Image is a bit blurred, especially where colors meet.
• You must squint to look at the image.
• Loss of definition or depth in the image.
• Blue or purple gradient in the fragment plug (that is not coralline algae, you’d be able to tell the difference.)
+100000
Those are exactly what I look for. Or if they’re on sand-if the sand looks purple/washed out

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back