Feels like Brooklynella is spreading in my tank but not really sure.

CrypticNitrogen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I recently had a clownfish that has passed due to Brooklynella. They were a pair. Now I'm seeing troubles with my other clownfish that is being left alone at the moment. Before the female clownfish passed, I made sure to take her out of the tank and put her in a hospitalized condition to treat her with her Brooklynella but it didn't work accordingly since when I discovered she has Brooklynella was a little too late to diagnosis it so she has passed in the bucket I treat the Brooklynella in instead of the main tank where the other fishes are in.

When I woke up today, I saw some strange activities happening around my clownfish. The first thing was that my clownfish started to bite anemones and mouthing them. I asked the forums in regards to that question and they just said it's not too large of an issue. But the second thing I found was that my clownfish started to have some patches of little tiny white areas in his body. "I have not seen the skin peel off yet" but little white surfaces around his sides. I was wondering if it's something to worry about?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know your previous clownfish died of Brooklynella, then I think it's safe to assume that the other fish in the tank also have Brooklynella. There can't be any harm to treating accordingly for it, right? If it is, the other clowns get saved along with other fish in the tank. If not, then you've learned how to quarantine for Brooklynella in the future:

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not too versed with brook. But mouthing an anemone tells me he might be trying to host it. And sometimes they will get marks from that. Still, its always better to be safe than sorry. Especially since you lost a fish to brook already. I assume treating any other fish that were in the same tank would be a good idea.

OP
OP
C

CrypticNitrogen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just a status update for this moment. So I treated the clownfish for about 2 days now, taking him out from the main tank and setting up a bucket for the treatment. It seemed like the clownfish has lost all it's brook from his skin and his skin no longer looks like "peeling off" but somehow the color of the clownfish changed to lighter orange. I don't know what's the current status of the clownfish if he's good or not but he doesn't show any sign of heavy breathing or swimming difficulties at the moment for the past 2 days of treatment. But his color just became lighter as I did a water bucket change yesterday. Is this something to worry about?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back