Felicia's 40B Mixed-Reef Predator Tank

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the motion of the soft corals and gorgs, and the antennata lion has to be one of my favorite predator fish. Honestly, one of the most interesting displays I've seen on here in a while.

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Tank... it looks way bigger then a 40br. Beautiful lion fish. Your ganna make me consider starting something similar. .. Do the lions or eel bother your leopard wrasse?
Thanks so much! I had a 30 gallon standard (36" x 13" x 16") for a long time before the 40B and for some reason the 40 gallon looks way more than 10 gallons bigger. I'd love to see more predator reef tanks! The lions absolutely don't bother the clownfish or the leopard. Lionfish are super peaceful, so they don't pick at other fish. The issue is just that if the fish is small enough, the eat it and that's that. But not aggression or picking. My antennata and dwarf lion are both very small, so they don't even pay attention to my fish. Also, my clowns have the added protection of living inside a blob of 5 big BTA's. The fu manchu is big enough to eat fish if he wanted, but he's more of a sand and rock percher (never really swims in the water column), so in the wild he would eat more of crabs and shrimp than fish. Plus I keep them well fed and so far there haven't been any issues at all. The eel however does get a bit crazy during feeding time and he will nip at anything in the vicinity since he doesn't see well, but can smell the food. As a result, he has nipped at the fish during the feeding frenzy, but he's never caused any damage or seemed to even phase the fish. He could get dangerous as he gets bigger though, so I'm keeping an eye on that. Oh, and if the leopard gets too close to his den, he'll nip at her to go away, but she's too fast for him to get her.

Congtats. One of the best predators tank, i've seen.
Aw! Thank you so much for the compliment!

This is cool man. Im not big on softies but thats a nice combo you have.
Thanks so much! I think softies are under appreciated! I've done an LPS dominated tank and a softie dominated tank before, but I've decided my favorite is the mixed reef look.

I love the motion of the soft corals and gorgs, and the antennata lion has to be one of my favorite predator fish. Honestly, one of the most interesting displays I've seen on here in a while.
Thank you for such an amazing compliment! The antennata is definitely the most striking of the lionfish. I love the red coloration on her and her long spiky fins. :)

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got crazy busy with work and haven't had much time for posting photos of the tank. Finally have some new photos to share!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW! I absolutely LOVE this tank! Beautiful and quite unique! Give us an update when you can!

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! I absolutely LOVE this tank! Beautiful and quite unique! Give us an update when you can!
Thank you so much! The tank is doing really well except for a minor issue with some hair algae that I think I'm getting under control now. Life has just been really hectic, so I haven't been on the forums much. I'll try to do a big photo update really soon!

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'll just throw up a bunch of photos real quick now for you guys. I've had these and hadn't gotten a post together.

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was having fun photographing the clowns in their BTA's. I believe there are about 7 BTAs on that rock right now.

And we'll finish up with photos of the clams, which have been growing like crazy. All three of them are doing really well.

jlugo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... and it's only a 26"tank! WOW awsome setup. I have a 40B too and I really want something different more "natural"and definitly the gorgonians gives that touch! Congrats for your tank!

Any pics of the filtration system?

Last edited:
OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup!
Thank you so much!!!

.... and it's only a 26"tank! WOW awsome setup. I have a 40B too and I really want something different more "natural"and definitly the gorgonians gives that touch! Congrats for your tank!

Any pics of the filtration system?
Its actually a 36" wide tank. 40 gallons and 36" x 18" x 18". Thank you! I'm glad you like it. I really enjoy the natural look that gorgonians give a tank. Also, they're easy, so its a win-win :)

Here's an older photo of the filtration. Its not as clean now, but nothing has really changed since then. Left chamber is the filter sock, skimmer, and media reactor. There's a small refugium with chaeto in the center, and then just right of that is the return pump. The far right chamber of the sump is the ATO reservoir. The dosing pump is mounted up above on the right side.

IMG_3130.jpg

jlugo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!!

Its actually a 36" wide tank. 40 gallons and 36" x 18" x 18". Thank you! I'm glad you like it. I really enjoy the natural look that gorgonians give a tank. Also, they're easy, so its a win-win :)

Here's an older photo of the filtration. Its not as clean now, but nothing has really changed since then. Left chamber is the filter sock, skimmer, and media reactor. There's a small refugium with chaeto in the center, and then just right of that is the return pump. The far right chamber of the sump is the ATO reservoir. The dosing pump is mounted up above on the right side.

IMG_3130.jpg
oops! My bad!!!! was a typo! I really mean a 36" tank. I have a 40B too... I only have one gorgonia in my tank but I want to add a few more and put some ricordeas at the bottom. Thanks for the pic!

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathtaking! Some say they are in this hobby to bring a little piece of paradise home. You surely brought the whole paradise home!
Thank you for the kind words! I love scuba diving, so having a bit of that paradise in my home to enjoy every day was definitely my inspiration!

oops! My bad!!!! was a typo! I really mean a 36" tank. I have a 40B too... I only have one gorgonia in my tank but I want to add a few more and put some ricordeas at the bottom. Thanks for the pic!
I thought that might be a typo. Gorgonians are always great additions. I love buying the from KPAquatics.com because they have big, healthy ones for really good prices. All of mine came from their site.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back