Female Darwin clown aggresion

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts please! i have a very large Female Darwin clown like 15cm she is quite aggressive to the point she bullied her partner so much he ended up dying this was about a year ago, i have ordered 4 peach clowns , 4 misbars and two extreme snows off a local breeder for a reasonable deal these are going in my new 200g build in around 3 months time. however i only have the one tank at the moment and wanting to put them into it until my larger tank is cycled. is it wise to move the darwin clown on to avoid any harassment of the new clowns? they are only young and i wouldnt want her to start attacking them. my question is do you think she will attack them ? any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated thanks = )

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clown variant(darwins are exceptionally mean like maroons) that has gotten old and "established" will probably never accept a group of clowns. A single smaller male, might just work, but a group will probably get picked off to just one small dominant male.

Your tank might be large enough for them to "hide" away from the larger established female though.

If it were me, unfortunately if I wanted another pair, or multiple pairs, I would be rehoming the darwin.

OP
OP
guysmiley

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clown variant(darwins are exceptionally mean like maroons) that has gotten old and "established" will probably never accept a group of clowns. A single smaller male, might just work, but a group will probably get picked off to just one small dominant male.

Your tank might be large enough for them to "hide" away from the larger established female though.

If it were me, unfortunately if I wanted another pair, or multiple pairs, I would be rehoming the darwin.
Thank you for your reply mate = ) yes you are right , i will re home her its not worth the heart ache and these new clowns are all unique stunners . :) thanx again

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with Homer1475, you're really better off rehoming her. Over the decades I've seen significant differences in personalities of clownfish. I've had females that not only wouldn't hesitate to try to bite my but would try to get the the more sensitive skin at teh base of my fingers while the majority would only through a tantrum or avoid me altogether when I was cleaning thier tank. The odds of establshing a harem with her without loss of any males or juviniles isn't good. This goes for other species of fish also, but once you get one with a very dominate personality established in a system adding otherr fish may be impossible. Aquarist should always be on the lookout behavioral issues and be ready to rehome a fish if needed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back