Fenbendazole dip for blue clove polyp/hydroids.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI So I had more than few blue clove and what i believe are hydroids pop up on a few frags and start spreading in the frag system. I didn't want to start out treating the whole system so I picked the most populated frags to treat. I mixed 1/4 gram of Fenbendazole with 1 cup of saltwater as a dip! I let them soak for 5 min. washed them off and put them back in the system. 24 hrs later there were no signs of polyps and zoas looked fine! Treated frags look awesome a week later and are happy not to be choaked!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI So I had more than few blue clove and what i believe are hydroids pop up on a few frags and start spreading in the frag system. I didn't want to start out treating the whole system so I picked the most populated frags to treat. I mixed 1/4 gram of Fenbendazole with 1 cup of saltwater as a dip! I let them soak for 5 min. washed them off and put them back in the system. 24 hrs later there were no signs of polyps and zoas looked fine! Treated frags look awesome a week later and are happy not to be choaked!

Cool - I knew that flubendazole was effective against hydroids, I didn't know that fenbendazole was also.

Jay

scomac88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try this tonight on a zoa frag. Manually scraping kept the clove polyps off for a while, but they're coming back. They are isolated to this specific frag for now. I picked up Fenbendazole in the form of the 22% panacur-c. Was your dosing with the 100% version or the diluted version? Any regrets in doing this?

Last edited:

scomac88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try this tonight on a zoa frag. Manually scraping kept the clove polyps off for a while, but they're coming back. They are isolated to this specific frag for now. I picked up Fenbendazole in the form of the 22% panacur-c. Was your dosing with the 100% version or the diluted version? Any regrets in doing this?
Just following-up for posterity's sake. Did the dip last night. I ended up using the granulated panacure, I just stirred it in water as I believe that version is water soluble. I did .8 grams (22% concentrated) and a cup of salt water. The water was very cloudy. 5 minutes total. Then a three stage rinse for the frag, including blowing off the frag with my bulb feeder.

Zoas opened up fat and happy first thing this morning, and no polyps to be seen. Far happier than they were after I did the first round of scraping.

I'm very happy with this method. I'll follow-up on this post if I see any downsides/negative reactions.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following-up for posterity's sake. Did the dip last night. I ended up using the granulated panacure, I just stirred it in water as I believe that version is water soluble. I did .8 grams (22% concentrated) and a cup of salt water. The water was very cloudy. 5 minutes total. Then a three stage rinse for the frag, including blowing off the frag with my bulb feeder.

Zoas opened up fat and happy first thing this morning, and no polyps to be seen. Far happier than they were after I did the first round of scraping.

I'm very happy with this method. I'll follow-up on this post if I see any downsides/negative reactions.
How is it going? Still no sign of clove polyps?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 2 rocks with BCP. I mixed 0.2 grams to approximately 1.25 gallons. Set in a power head and heater. The rocks also have lps on them. My thought was doing the 2ml per gallon for 3 days. I messed up. LOL. My scale can only do 0.1 not 0.001 and I was thinking last night that 0.2 g was 2ml. Nope. Anyway, I took a peek this morning in my container and the lps looks fine. I drained out 1/3 gallon and replaced with some fresh saltwater and went to work. I'll see how it looks when I get home.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 2 rocks with BCP. I mixed 0.2 grams to approximately 1.25 gallons. Set in a power head and heater. The rocks also have lps on them. My thought was doing the 2ml per gallon for 3 days. I messed up. LOL. My scale can only do 0.1 not 0.001 and I was thinking last night that 0.2 g was 2ml. Nope. Anyway, I took a peek this morning in my container and the lps looks fine. I drained out 1/3 gallon and replaced with some fresh saltwater and went to work. I'll see how it looks when I get home.
Ah, no power. Tree took down some lines and can't get to my house. Had to drive down to the next town and come back up.

Anyway, some BCP look fine and some closed up. Power back on 3 hours later and did another 1/3 wc.

Fast forward to this morning, this little mini tank smells like death. I'm off to work so not much I can do about it. LPS looks okay but closed up(no lights on this anyway).
All BCP are closed up now and I see some tiny worms floating around. I also fragged up a bunch of purple stylo 2 days ago and dropped some in the tank as a tester. Well, some look fine and some the skin is peeling away. We are about 33 hours currently as I write.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, no power. Tree took down some lines and can't get to my house. Had to drive down to the next town and come back up.

Anyway, some BCP look fine and some closed up. Power back on 3 hours later and did another 1/3 wc.

Fast forward to this morning, this little mini tank smells like death. I'm off to work so not much I can do about it. LPS looks okay but closed up(no lights on this anyway).
All BCP are closed up now and I see some tiny worms floating around. I also fragged up a bunch of purple stylo 2 days ago and dropped some in the tank as a tester. Well, some look fine and some the skin is peeling away. We are about 33 hours currently as I write.
Yesterday I got home and the tank water was Brown and really smelled bad.

20240215_163308.jpg

The BCP we're mostly closed up what was left. Some were missing just gone. So I ended up changing 5/6 of the water. I estimate currently I have about 5 mg of fenbendazole left in the water after all my water changes. The water doesn't smell so bad now. All of my LPS seem to pretty good other than closed up. It's not like the SPS that shed it's skin so I'm happy about that. Tonight at 10pm will be 72 hours.
I will probably pull it out before then and give it a good rinse and put it back in the tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got home and the tank water was Brown and really smelled bad.

20240215_163308.jpg

The BCP we're mostly closed up what was left. Some were missing just gone. So I ended up changing 5/6 of the water. I estimate currently I have about 5 mg of fenbendazole left in the water after all my water changes. The water doesn't smell so bad now. All of my LPS seem to pretty good other than closed up. It's not like the SPS that shed it's skin so I'm happy about that. Tonight at 10pm will be 72 hours.
I will probably pull it out before then and give it a good rinse and put it back in the tank.
Well, don't do what I did. I hope yes is not looking very good. I had a couple chalices in there that were stuck to the Rock and the flesh peeled right off. My blasto's mouths are gaping and one a can is starting to peel. Not all was lost perhaps some of these will survive. I have changed 100% of the water and we'll see what happens overnight.
And some of the BCP are still on the rock so I used a toothbrush and then to clean them off. I'm not 100% sure they're dead.

20240216_163130.jpg 20240216_163111.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday night I put them back into my system. The acans continue to lose polyps and blasto red Fringe seems to be shedding but the polyps still being intact. We'll see what they look like tomorrow.

scomac88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday night I put them back into my system. The acans continue to lose polyps and blasto red Fringe seems to be shedding but the polyps still being intact. We'll see what they look like tomorrow.
I hope everything came back for you. Sounds like bad universe timing with the power outage. So far as just doing my little Fenben dip on my zoa frag, it completely wiped out the polyps with no ill effects on the Zoas or my tank when I put the frag back. Very happy.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking out the tank today and noticed that all the BCP are gone! There were a bunch on the front tank corner and crawling up the front pane. Not a trace. I guess there was trace amounts on the acan rock? Not enough to kill the gargonian but enough to kill the polyps.

Hmmm, micro dosing to kill BCP?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back