Fence13

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah maybe. Good to know

So many websites that share similar names! I don't think I've ever poked around them long enough to know what all they have or don't have. I'm a very get in, buy it, and get out before I cause too much trouble for myself.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read through this build. Following :)

Thanks! It'll get more interesting here soon!! Soon there will be things put together and plumbed! And more shiny new equipment coming

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find all parts of the build progress to be interesting! and exciting.

any ideas for a lid yet?

Ugh the bane of my existence right now. I keep going back and forth on what would be best overall. I was thinking about Artfully Acrylic but now that Red Sea pushed out their lids, they seem to be an attractive version; however, with the tank being an odd dimension at 30x24 I think I'd be happier with paying more money for custom work.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally did a thing! Many months after first buying it, and moving it into the house. I finally took it out of the box! It's on the stand and everything is nice. There is a slight overhang (less than 1/2") of the tank and the foam mat it came with. I have some extra foam that I can put back there just to be extra cautious.
MVIMG_20180514_204352.jpg MVIMG_20180514_204401.jpg

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also realized that I can upgrade my current MP40 to an MP40wQD for about $200 less and just keep the original motor the same until that craps out on me. But it's been running for many years constantly with no issues (just jinxed myself now I know it!).

That makes it way more affordable to buy my ATO......which I decided to go with the Neptune ATK. Even with a 50% negative review on Bulk Reef Supply, I'm going to give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll have plenty of time to return it and get the rock solid Tunze before I go on a vacation in October.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked with my plumbing buddy and helph be stopping by this weekend to help me figure out what I need to get this plumbed.

With that in mind I have ordered the MP40. Went new so I can't take available of the warranty in case something goes wrong. I may sell my old one later to recoup some of the costs.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all my complaining about what ATO to buy, I was convinced by a friend that I can do everything the ATK would do with my current autotopoff.com unit, a float switch, and a breakout box.

My unit of 4 or 5 years has never failed me so it seemed like a good thing to try. He had the Apex code all written out so I'll be grabbing that one I get a float switch. May do a light on a magnetic strip switch as well.

Within weeks this thing should be setup!!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates with pictures!

MP40wQD arrived. So pretty and clean.
MVIMG_20180519_085707.jpg

Also wrote out my To Do List and my To Buy List!

IMG_20180519_092933.jpg

The wife and I decided on an electrical cabinet that will have a wide enough top in case we want to add a little mini tank (she keeps saying she wants one, and I want places to put extra coral). We're going to stain it to match the rest of the room and should be good for some storage as well. IMG_20180519_085034_01_01.jpg

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phone likes to make duplicate posts!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleased to announce that @ArtFully Acrylic has been commissioned to build my lid. The wife was the ultimate deciding factor (she apparently fell in love with the feed door).

Can't wait for this thing to arrive!!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my cabinet all stained and cut a chunk of plywood to act as the stop of the cabinet. (IN full disclosure it was the wife that did the staining and sealant coats. )

MVIMG_20180523_182520.jpg IMG_20180523_182542.jpg

My initial thought is to put the electrical workings of my Apex and all those wires in here. Maybe drill them to a panel and attach the panel to the supports like a false back, so the wires can be hidden between the two panels? Ya follow?

Why yes this is a corner kitchen wall cabinet. For the size, price, and uniqueness we settled on this instead of the regular skinny cabinets or something fancy from Homemakers. The wife has said that she may want to start a little nano tank some day and this can be a good stand for it if we decide to go that route...or I can add a frag tank to it in the future! So many possibilities.

Just look at the inside space I have to work with!
IMG_20180523_182538.jpg

IMG_20180523_182524.jpg

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why it posted two of the similar photo.....Oh well!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is finished and in place! We added another piece of carpet to match all the way to the wall. I think we did a great job with the staining and it matches so well.

Doggo in front is tired from a day full of playing with other doggos.

IMG_20180527_185045.jpg

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing day is tomorrow!!! So excited with my professional help. Only cost me a frag of Cali Blue Tort.......but it'll look so fresh and clean!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing day arrived yesterday. And I replaced the short foam bad with a bigger insulation foam pad - I wasn't happy that it didn't cover the entire tank bottom.
IMG_20180602_172642.jpg

IMG_20180602_172548.jpg IMG_20180602_172621.jpg
I'm still missing a few parts but that offshoot on the return will plumb straight into my algae scrubber with some soft tubing and then the scrubber will just sit on top of the sump between the 2nd and 3rd chambers. I'm almost ready for water!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robin Haselden tempted me with all his coral talk and purchases so over memorial day weekend I bought a battlebox from @Battlecorals .... why just post this now? Well they show up tomorrow! And if it's one thing that people like, it's photos of new corals!

Adam (with BC) is super easy to work with. Always throws in great pieces, and was even going to not give me a bunch of green things but I asked for some green because honestly, my tank could use a couple more green pieces! (shocking I know)

I will definitely keep everyone posted!

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robin Haselden tempted me with all his coral talk and purchases so over memorial day weekend I bought a battlebox from @Battlecorals .... why just post this now? Well they show up tomorrow! And if it's one thing that people like, it's photos of new corals!

Adam (with BC) is super easy to work with. Always throws in great pieces, and was even going to not give me a bunch of green things but I asked for some green because honestly, my tank could use a couple more green pieces! (shocking I know)

I will definitely keep everyone posted!

Lead by example I always say! I'll take full responsibility for your impulse coral purchases... just not financial. Turtle's impulses are enough burden themselves without compounding the issue with yours.

P.S. Sorry, I kinda forgot about your build thread. January was so long ago, I don't remember what Turtle did last week.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lead by example I always say! I'll take full responsibility for your impulse coral purchases... just not financial. Turtle's impulses are enough burden themselves without compounding the issue with yours.

P.S. Sorry, I kinda forgot about your build thread. January was so long ago, I don't remember what Turtle did last week.

No apologies needed. There is a lot going on here as well as in life. I'm always glad whenever people stop by!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back