Few issues i need some help with.

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off established mixed reef tank. Parameters are good and stable.

I've had a bloom of aptasia. And a flourish of Asterina starfish. I've read about using shrimp to take care of both. Peppermint shrimp and then harlequin for the asterina. Question lies is I have a cleaner shrimp and a banded coral shrimp in the tank already. Will they all jive and be happy together. Or will it turn into a death match. I have a 20 gal waterbox I can put the cleaner and banded in. Thoughts?

Some red algae growing on rock work. Best thing for it? Phosphate is 0.17. Nitrates are at 10.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off established mixed reef tank. Parameters are good and stable.

I've had a bloom of aptasia. And a flourish of Asterina starfish. I've read about using shrimp to take care of both. Peppermint shrimp and then harlequin for the asterina. Question lies is I have a cleaner shrimp and a banded coral shrimp in the tank already. Will they all jive and be happy together. Or will it turn into a death match. I have a 20 gal waterbox I can put the cleaner and banded in. Thoughts?

Some red algae growing on rock work. Best thing for it? Phosphate is 0.17. Nitrates are at 10.
I recommend against harlequin shrimp, they only eat starfish and refuse to be weened onto frozen.
I have wrasse that eat them though (Halichoeres and I’ll try my 1” Macropharyngodon with it)
Peppermint shrimps have to be the right sp to eat aptaisia. If it’s not that one out of all 4 then it’ll go downhill. Copperband butterflies are good for aptaisia if you get the right one

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted Filefish for Aptaisa.
Filefish are the same thing with CBBs and they aren’t always reef safe (well, no fish will certainly be reef safe, it’s just a lucky dip on when we take it)
However, filefish will often be less reef safe than a CBB

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin will starve to death in a 20G, they cannot survive on asterna stars(not enough tube feet which is what they actually eat). Peppermints are hit or miss even if the right ones are bought.

In a 20G tank honestly your best bet is manually removal.

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a berghia nudibranch or two they only eat aptasia. I just ordered some yesterday after reading up on some other threads.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back