Fielder's IM 20G Fusion

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I've been loitering for quite some time now, snagging gear from the marketplace, researching, posting randomly here and there. I feel like it's time to post a build thread. The big reason is to help track the progress of the tank. So, here goes nothing.

I got back into the hobby after 6 years away when I saw a Fluval Evo 13.5 for sale, stocked and ready to go. Previous owner had way too many fish, and there was hair algae and aiptasia everywhere. Replaced the rock and sand, re-homed half the fish, and slowly started adding corals. Here's that original tank before I broke it down:

FTS 2020.04.09 by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

Fast-forward 3 months and 26 days. 13.5g wasnt enough. There was a 20g IM Nuvo Fusion on FB for sale that had a ton of gear with it. Older stuff, but nice. Custom, massive stand that put the tank at a great viewing height, but still fit (barely) in the same space. Take a peek:

Fusion 20 before by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

20200305_101039 by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

I didn't love the stand. It was stained black, but a little beat up and the stain wasn't even. I took it to a wood refinish company here in Baltimore who stripped a 120yr old door for me a while back. Three attempts to dip just the door, and the stain wouldn't come off. They tried sanding it lightly, and nothing happened. Thankfully after they had it for 5 weeks they didn't charge me a dime. So I decided to take the lowest grit sandpaper I had and start testing! A few days later, what seems like a few hundred pieces of sandpaper, and a goal of creating a distressed look, this happened:

20200505_182101 by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

20200505_182115 by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

I actually love it, though I can imagine most people here won't. It goes with the style of our house. 1920's cape cod that could be considered country modern to some extent. I put about 75 trillion layers of urethane on it once I was happy with everything. Here it is next to the old tank, ready to swap out:

20200506_131244 by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

That was back in early May. Lot's more to update. Equipment list will come soon. I always seem to be upgrading, to the point where my fiancée doesn't even ask me how much things cost anymore. Good or bad? I dunno.

Teaser for later:

20200612_183817 by Mike Fielder, on Flickr

Erichk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way the stand came out! I love the innovative marine tanks too, I have 2 of them myself. I’ll be following along to see how this turns out!

OP
OP
Mfield16

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It's certainly a change of pace from what comes standard. Being in the family room, I really wanted it to look like a piece of furniture, not a tank stand.

Erichk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for something similar to put in my living room for a frag tank so I totally understand it having to look nice. It’s hard to find something that can fit a sump too!

OP
OP
Mfield16

Mfield16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for something similar to put in my living room for a frag tank so I totally understand it having to look nice. It’s hard to find something that can fit a sump too!

Do you have a significant other?!? Mine would not allow a frag tank in the LR lol. The ONE thing I hate about the stand is the space inside. Barely any room for an ATO reservoir, let alone the apex gear, etc. I do have a linen closet in a half bath right behind the tank that I will one day pop a whole through and make an equipment cabinet. One day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back