Fighting an existing Hair Algae problem.

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising Mg to above 1400 will definitely solve the problem.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

I have never seen this completely solve a hair algae problem. I have seen it work to a limited extent for bryopsis problems. And even if it were to work, without taking away what it feeds on, it will surely come back.

Brent \><{{{{*>

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising Mg to above 1400 will definitely solve the problem.

I keep my mag at 1500 and have had hair algae problems so I am not so sure this would be a solution in my experience that is

I have never seen this completely solve a hair algae problem. I have seen it work to a limited extent for bryopsis problems. And even if it were to work, without taking away what it feeds on, it will surely come back.

Brent \><{{{{*>
From what ai have seen and read and discussed the elevated mag to fight briopsys is specific to Kent's Tech M, I'm sure what is in it thats not in other products but there are numerous threads that say the same thing.

I ended up with hair algae that I stupidly scraped of the rocks and it just seeded the tank.
I tried many things, sea hare, urchins, huge CUC and in the end it was 60 turbo snails I added about 3 weeks ago, as of today I have nearly zero Hair algae.

Mine was a false readings from my hanna egg shaped phosphate tester that allowed my phosphates to get out of control. You'll beat it, if all else fails toss in a grip of turbos, they will take care of it

Green Hair Algae can be conquered!

Last edited:

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hair algae from using tap water only treated with amquel. I now have RODI and have been doing bi weekly water changes and getting as much of the algae as I can without seeding the tank too bad. My results are actually great, the algae is almost brown/green now showing me its dieing off and no new hair algae has grown since the inital RODI waterchange about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully your problem will be sorted out too

OP
OP
S

SpoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bloom is gone now I shut the reactor off for a couple of days and it went away. I also took half of the bio-pellets out to reduce the amount of pellets that can get stuck. I did a 30% water change the 100% is too daunting and I do not have the equipment to do it nor the time. The algae does look like it is dying off, I am still removing some manually.

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bloom is gone now I shut the reactor off for a couple of days and it went away. I also took half of the bio-pellets out to reduce the amount of pellets that can get stuck. I did a 30% water change the 100% is too daunting and I do not have the equipment to do it nor the time. The algae does look like it is dying off, I am still removing some manually.

Good to hear things are getting better.... Keep it up and keep us posted.

Brent \><{{{{*>

OP
OP
S

SpoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. Things are continuing to improve, the tank is clearing up and most large patches of Hair Algae are gone. I am dealing with fish battles though my Yellow Tang and Foxface still wont get along, they have been together for a while now. It seems like their behavior is actually stressing other fish out. I will probably end up removing one of the two, the tang is the aggressor so probably him.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that things are improving. Unfortunately, yellow tangs can be bullies.

OP
OP
S

SpoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw my Yellow Tang taking bites out of my FoxFace, he earned himself a trip to the sump. I have decided that I will have to add fish in the right order and not bully before others. Going to take him to the LFS and see if they have a Kole Tang. The algae is dying off I took every rock out and washed it in saltwater then re-did my rock work. Everything seems to be calming down and hopefully I can add some coral soon to make this tank start to look like I want it to.

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent Phospahte Sponge swapped out every 12-24 hours WILL do the trick. I had GHA all over my sand bed so I started using Kent's. Within 24hrs I saw the GHA turn white and then a few days later it was gone. I've since stepped up my water changes from 5g to almost 15 weekly and have had no algae since. We're going on 3 months now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back