Fighting Conch and Wrasses

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it contraindicated to have a fighting conch in a tank with a sand-burying wrasse?

Interested in a fighting conch but I have a leopard wrasse that buries into the sand to sleep. Are there concerns with the conch "running into" the wrasse when buried or causing injuries?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's a non-issue. At worst the wrasse will just quickly relocate in a plume of dust from the sand before Mr. Snuffaluffagus makes physical contact. If I'm moving things and my leopard has burried, it moves before I get to where it was.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues at all. The conch just goes over the surface of the sand sort of like a roomba. I doubt the wrasse would even notice, mine never do. I have my conch in a 45g with two yellow wrasses and small melanurus. They few times my conch burrows, he barely goes an inch down with most of his shell still exposed. Even if he happened to do it in the same place as the wrasse, which would be pure luck, I doubt it would be deep enough to bother the wrasse, and even if it did, one of them would just find another spot for the night. I can’t imagine any injuries being possible (unless it’s a wrasse that eats conches of course).

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times the conch won't even be completely buried and will be visible to the wrasse before he sand dives. I have 2 fighting and 5 tiger conchs with two sand sleeping wrasses without any problem. The leopard wrasse and the two larger conchs have been together for several years.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said it's not a problem. I have 4 fighting conch's and 2 wrasses that sleep in the sand and they are all happy together.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont move particularly fast, especially when submerged. I daresay, it's rather snail-like.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back